Thursday, August 24, 2017

Thursday Thirteen

Today is the anniversary of my mother's death from pancreatic cancer. This is also the cancer that killed Patrick Swayze and Steve Jobs. My husband's aunt also died from it.

Here are some facts about this cancer, which is one of the worst kinds of cancer to have.

1. Pancreatic cancer has the lowest survival rate of all cancers – just 3-6% of those diagnosed survive for five years.

2. During World Pancreatic Cancer Day, 905 people across the globe will die from pancreatic cancer.

3. Survival has improved for most cancers over the last 40 years but not for pancreatic cancer.

4. Early diagnosis is key: If patients are diagnosed in time for surgery, their chance of surviving 5 years or more increases ten-fold.

5. Pancreatic cancer has been underfunded for decades and receives less than 2% of overall cancer research funding.

6. Pancreatic cancer is the 12th most common cancer in the world, with 338,000 new cases diagnosed in 2012.

7. Pancreatic cancer is the 7th most common cause of cancer death across the world.

8. Pancreatic cancer is more common in developed countries but it is on the rise in developing countries like Africa and India.

9. Pancreatic cancer is nearly always diagnosed too late with 80% of pancreatic cancer patients having terminal disease with an average life expectancy of a mere 4-6 months.

10. The pancreas lies behind the stomach and in front of the spine. It works to help the body use and store energy from food by producing hormones to control blood sugar levels and digestive enzymes to break down food.

11. Pancreatic cancer occurs when abnormal cells in the pancreas grow out of control, forming a mass of tissue called a tumor.

12. Symptoms of pancreatic cancer can be very vague and depend on whether the tumor is in the head, body or tail of the pancreas. Abdominal pain is a symptom in about 70% of pancreatic cancer cases and jaundice (also known as icterus) occurs in about 50% of cases.

13. Pancreatic cancer affects men and women equally.

Information from http://ecpc.org/edu/pancreas/159-edu/pancreas/249-15-key-facts-on-pancreatic-cancer

_________
 
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 514th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. Sobering. I'm glad you explained what the pancreas does. I haven't known anyone with it. My sister who died last year had cancer of the stomach lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading all the facts about this cancer, I'm shocked that it receives less than 2% of cancer research funding. Sorry about your mom, my mom survived breast cancer and 5 years later found out she had colon cancer, which she didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss.
    5, 6, and 7 are very disheartening facts. :( It should Definitely get more funding.
    I lost my Aunt to breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what the doctors thought I had, but I didn't. Having watched someone die from it, I'm sorry that you had to also. I'm sorry this date is a sad one. It is a horrid disease. The pancreas is tiny, and sits so close to the gall bladder that it gets affected when the gall bladder acts out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. I've been wanting to say for ages that I like the new header. It's very beautiful. Take Care..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you miss your mom tremendously. These facts are upsetting. But thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.