Monday, December 10, 2007

Mrs. W.

When I entered second grade, I did so with much trepidation. My school was new to me, as we'd moved. And the school where I spent first grade had left a terrible mark.

My new teacher promptly informed my mother, when we visited prior to the beginning of the school year, that nicknames were not allowed. Thus ended the use of a name bestowed upon me by my father when I was born (I suppose he did not like my given name). I don't know if this was a school rule or a teacher rule, but in any event, it was life changing.

Mrs. W. seemed ancient to me. She also seemed mean and I remember telling my mother she'd be like some old boat captain, ordering children around. "She'll tell us to scrub the floors!" I said. I always remember that when I think of these childhood days, because I grew to love Mrs. W.

First impressions are not always correct.

Second grade was the year of learning to write "cursive", or "real writing," as I called it. I was ahead of my peers - this school moved children along more slowly than my previous one. I read better, wrote better, knew more math. I tried not to let anyone know, but they still called me names. It has never been easy being someone who can think.

A number of incidents stand out from this year, which must have had quite an impact on my character formation. Mrs. W. gave me much self esteem several times when she chose me - me! - to go over to the first grader's classroom to "babysit" and read to them for the last hour when the teacher had to leave early for the day (it was a different world then). I always read them the dinosaur book. I could even pronounce "Brontosaurus"!

But I could not make an "A" in reading. I made the best grade in reading in the class, but it wasn't an "A." Finally Mrs. W. told me - in front of the class, something she excelled at - that the reason I didn't make an "A" in reading was because I did not read with inflection in my voice. Instead I read in a monotone and gave no life to the characters.

Well, why hadn't somebody told me? After that I did better. I made the coveted "A."

Then there was the note. Egads. A boy named Jerry, who is dead now, decided I should be his girlfriend. He began passing me notes. In my mind this incident is the first time we ever passed notes but I don't know if that is so. In any event, he passed me a note that said something about he wanted to take me out back and kiss me. He drew little hearts all over the paper. I don't recall if I wrote him back but I do remember Mrs. W. towering over me.

"What do you have there?" she barked.

I handed up the note. She took it to the front of the room and pinned it to the blackboard. Then she made every student parade by the note and read it.

I was so humiliated. All I could do was sit and sob. I think I ended up sick in the bathroom.

And finally, this is the memory that comes to me almost every year in December.

Back then we put on a Christmas pageant in the school. I don't think they do such things anymore.

I was chosen to be the angel. Not just any old angel, but the angel who spoke. The angel who was also the narrator.

My father did not want me to do this, but my mother made me a costume and told me to go ahead. I'm pretty sure they had a row over it.

I wore a white sheet and had little gold flecks in my hair. It was my duty to move forward and do the speaking.

I recited Luke 2 (King James Version):


1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)

3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.

19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.



It was an hour I remember every year.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. It's so nice when the good memories from childhood stick with us, isn't it?...wish I had more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember these days...teachers weren't afraid and parents pretty much supported them. They (teachers) didn't always do the right thing, but I think most times, they did. I have a story...but if you don't mind, I think I'll save it for a post at Spatter. It's too long for a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.