Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Food Chain

Last month we took a trip to Harrisonburg. We took a wrong turn and found ourselves off the main thoroughfare (US 11 and I-81).

Rounding a corner, the ground was suddenly white.




A stench wafted across the road as well. It was a warm day, about 85 degrees.

We were beside the Cargill plant. I had never heard of them, but apparently they are a major food processor.



The white turkeys (for it was white feathers littering the ground) were in crates, apparently awaiting slaughter.

I am not one of those people who cry when they think an animal has been hurt or abused, but even my heart broke at the site of these birds.



We have millions of people to feed and I realize that it is not an easy task. I don't know if things can be done any better than they are; my husband and I are small farmers, not a big corporate business. Our cows roam free across the pastures and only are penned when they need their shots or they're on their way to market. After they have left us, I think they generally are slaughtered. They are probably penned up for a while before they are turned into hamburger.

I doubt these birds have had much freedom; I suspect they've been cooped up in tiny cages all along.

Large fans blew air on the birds. I suppose this was so they could breath or maybe it was simply to keep the meat from spoiling quickly in the heat.

I would not want to live close to such a place. I don't think I could bear it. I'm pretty sure it would make me stop eating turkey.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for all the critters that are savaged for our food, and yet, I'm sorry to admit that I'm part of the problem. When I ask for forgiveness, the contradiction between my feelings and my actions is right up there in the top 10.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.