Monday, September 03, 2007

Vacation 2007 Part 2: Pleasant



Our journey from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach was rather uneventful. We stopped at David's produce market, somewhere between Greensboro, NC, and Ellerbe, to purchase tomatoes and a watermelon.

We arrived at Ocean Drive Resort around 4:30 p.m.



This is the backside of the hotel.

The motel room was spacious, if ill-designed:


The room had a fold-out bed to the right, leaving a lot of unused space. We had a king-sized bed, located in the very first room of the suite (not pictured). The bathroom, to the right of the kitchen area, was so tiny you nearly had to step outside of it to close the door. But we made out alright.

We ate at K&W Cafeteria.

Our days were spent at the beach. I have fair skin and burn very easily; I learned a long time ago to use a lot of lotion and sit in the shade where possible. Now that we can afford it, we rent the beach umbrellas. They cost $25 for the day, which we would never have paid when we were younger.



I wrote earlier about our dinners, so I won't repeat those.

Tuesday night we walked around Broadway at the Beach and the Tanger outlet. We also rode around to see what else was missing.

Wednesday, my husband received a sting from a jelly fish. I made him take Benedryl because he has some allergies. We put hydrocortizone and meat tenderizer on the big red splotch that came up on his leg.

We saw three other people get stung by jelly fish on Thursday. They were rather bad down there this year.

Wednesday after dinner, we went to the Carolina Opry to watch the "Good Vibrations" show.

We both enjoyed the music - I don't believe there was a single song we didn't know. The sounds we grew up with - 60s, 70s and 80s. The singers and dancers did a good job.

Thursday night we went to Bass Pro, where my husband spent a good deal of time wandering around.

Friday dawned cloudy, so we shopped all day. By mid-afternoon, the plantar fasciitis in my foot was troubling me so much that when I ran across a man selling "guaranteed" pain relief, I let him rub his magic oils into my foot.

It did provide some relief (I told my husband at the time the pain went from a 10 to a 3), and after some internal debate, because I can't recall ever forking over $50 for something like this, I gave the man his money and brought home a bottle.

I can't say yet whether this stuff works as promised.

We returned to the hotel and packed. Since it was Friday and the Labor Day weekend, the motel filled. People ran up and down the hall and banged doors and things most of the night.

I did not sleep well for the noise.

The ride back home was as uneventful as the trip back. We arrived home around 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

And thus endth our vacation, probably the only one we'll have this year.

3 comments:

  1. We've stayed at the Ocean Drive resort a couple times. I like the lazy river and the convenient location (without being in the most crowded area of the beach).

    You're right, though, it is crazy crowded. Since our son is getting older, now we usually tag along with other families and rent a house. It works out better (for us) if he has some playmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you swim in the ocean? My favorite part. I have to use a black mask and earplugs to get any sleep in hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff- Ocean Drive is our favorite hotel. It's clean and I don't have allergy and asthma problems there like I have in other places.

    Colleen - I did get in the ocean some, but I did not spend much time there. I prefer to sit on the beach and read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.