Monday, June 11, 2007

Movies: Shrek the Third

Shrek the Third
Now playing in a theater near you

We love Shrek around our house. We have sat and watched the first two Shreks numerous times.

I am sorry to say I doubt we watch the third one over and over, unless it turns out to be one of those movies that gets better on second viewing.

This Shrek was a little darker with few laughs. My husband can generally find a laugh in something long before me, but even he was disappointed in this film.

"They made one too many Shreks," he commented as the closing titles came on the screen.

The magic was missing in this film. Instead of feeling fresh and original, this seemed trite and tired. For me, from the beginning there was a plot hole big enough to drive a tractor trailer through and I had difficulty getting past that. The king was dying; the queen still lived. His daughter lived. And Shrek was named king, didn't want to be and set off in search of Arthur ... why?

Merlin made an appearance as a hippie, and could have been a wonderful character but wasn't. I felt like there were many missed opportunities in this movie and I'm rather sorry about it.

I was perfectly willing to enjoy it, and it wasn't bad but it certainly didn't blow me away.

2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.