Monday, May 14, 2007

Books:Creatively Self-Employed

Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs
By Kristen Fischer

First, a disclaimer: I am quoted in this book. The author took "interviews" as questionnaires on a writer's bulletin board two years ago and I liked the questions and submitted my answers. Some of the answers I gave are in this book.

This book is self-published by iUniverse. There is nothing wrong with self-publishing, but I have yet to read a self-published book that did not need an editor. This book had only one typo that I found, though I confess I didn't read it carefully. I thought some of it was repetitive and some tightening up would have been useful.

Essentially she quoted about 30 different people (there are 70 listed in the back - I don't know if they were all mentioned). We all essentially say the same thing - working for yourself is hard but worth it. There are a few gems of advice in the book, ways to make things easier or reframe your thinking. Readers might benefit from those.

2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.