Sunday, January 14, 2007

Spring in January


We had a little flurry of snow last week. It was cold enough for that then. But now it is gardening weather again. I think it hit 70 degrees here today.

Last night I spied some deer sneaking through the yard. It was 5:15 p.m. in January with overcast skies. I had not tried out my new Canon camera in low-level light. Any other camera would have given me only black that I maybe could have contrasted an image out of in photo software. Aside from cropping this, it is untouched.

I was much further away when I took this shot, and still, aside from a little graininess, the images captured nicely. I am very pleased as the only other camera I've ever had that would do this well at dusk or low light was my 35 mm Nikon FG 50, a very old camera. This is only cropped also.


This is blooming in the garden. A whole bunch of this came up in the mulched soil where we left the ground fallow over winter. I am guessing it is what I have heard the elders call a "dry land cress." Actually, it looks like the "True Watercress" in my field guild but that is only supposed to bloom from April on and should be near or in springs and streams, not in the compost in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics. I don't know if your camera has this, but my Canon has a pre-set called "Foliage" and I use that allot for stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.