Friday, August 11, 2006

Santillane

Santillane is an historic old home outside of Fincastle. An article in today's Roanoke Times reminded me of the house and a story I wrote in 2005.

The house is famous because the wife of William Clark, Judith Hancock, lived there. William Clark would be the Clark in "Lewis and Clark," those intrepid explorers who went west of the Mississippi on a mission from President Jefferson. They were exploring the Louisiana Purchase.

I like history and am surrounded by it here. It lends itself to tourism and I think the county is (finally) looking in that direction as a revenue source. History is an asset, but the county has ignored it. Hopefully that will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.