Saturday, July 20, 2024

Saturday 9: Disco Duck




Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Rick Dees begins by describing a party where he can't resist that disco beat. What's the last party you attended? Was there dancing?

A. The last party I attended was my father's 80th birthday party. There wasn't real dancing but there was a bit of shagging in the corner.

2) While this record was a massive international hit in 1976, it got off to an inauspicious start. Rick Dees said it took him less than a day to write the song, and more than three months to convince anyone to let him record it. Tell us about a time you were tempted to give up but were glad you didn't.

A. It took me 8 years to earn my bachelor's degree. There were plenty of times when I wanted to give it up, but I stuck with it. I may not have done what I thought I would with the degree, but I am glad I have it.

3) In the hit movie Saturday Night Fever, students are briefly seen learning to dance to "Disco Duck." Can you name another song from Saturday Night Fever?

A. How Deep Is Your Love by the BeeGees.

4) Dees was already a top disc jockey in Memphis when "Disco Duck" was released. With the record's success, his radio career soared and he got a better job reaching a greater audience at a radio station in Los Angeles. Are there any disc jockeys you loyally listened to every day?

A. Not anymore. I used to listen to Dick & Dave on Q99 (local station) but I haven't done that in years.

5) After more than 20 years, Rick lost his regular radio slot to Ryan Seacrest. But he still shares "the hottest music on the planet" through the Rick Dees Hit Music app (available at the Apple App Store or Google Play). What app have you recently downloaded to your phone?

A. Skyview Lite. It shows you the names of stars and constellations when you point your phone at the sky.

6) He used his favorite radio format to create a cookbook called Rick Dees All-Time Top 40 Greatest Desserts. If you could finish a delicious meal with the dessert of your choice, anything at all, what would you order?

A. A chocolate brownie with whipped cream on it.

7) In 1976, when "Disco Duck" was a hit, The Bionic Woman premiered on ABC. Because of her "bionic parts," Jamie Summers could run super fast, had super-sensitive hearing, and super-human strength. If you could have one of those qualities enhanced -- speed, hearing or strength -- which would you choose?

A. Strength.

8) Also in 1976, like this year, the world got together for The Summer Olympics. Will you be following the international competition?

A. We will likely watch some of it, but the Summer Olympics have never been a favorite.

9) Random question: You're bone tired, exhausted, and you have an early day tomorrow. As you wash your face and brush your teeth before bed, one of the two bulbs in the bathroom fixture goes out. Do you 1) change the bulb before bed or 2) promise yourself to do it in a hurry tomorrow as you're rushing around in the morning or 3) decide you can live with one bulb for a while, go to bed, and replace the burned-out bulb when you get around it?

A. I would decide I could live with one bulb until I could get around to replacing the burned out one. I am short and changing a light bulb involves climbing up on something and one needs to be clear-headed and not in a hurry when doing that.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

6 comments:

  1. Real brownies sounds good to me. Good for you for staying with your educational program. I enjoy all of the Olympics! I will really enjoy it this year, so I don't have to hear politics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to download that app! You had great answers, a brownie does sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shagging at an 80th birthday party....not something you hear about every day. ;-) Seems when it comes to those lightbulbs we are a rather lazy bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want a brownie! I am not that short but I agree completely on the light bulb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brownie with whipped cream sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on #9. I need a footstool for the lights in the kitchen and the dining room and a ladder for the kitchen and the bedroom. I even bought myself a taller ladder for my birthday one year so I wouldn't have to stretch. It's not easy being short.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.