Saturday, April 27, 2024

Saturday 9: Stay


Saturday 9: Stay (I Missed You) 1994

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, a woman is accused of only hearing what she wants to. "Selective listening" is when you choose to focus on what's important to you and ignore what isn't. Are you often, sometimes, or never guilty of selective listening?

A. I think we are all guilty of this sometimes. I learned to listen better when I was a news reporter; I hope it's a skill that I have kept up in conversations with friends and family. But there are times when you simply have something nagging at your brain and you only hear the important parts.

2) She turns the radio up when she hears her favorite song. What song have you recently sung along to?

A. Guitarzan by Ray Stevens. My husband was playing it on Alexa. I have no idea why.

3) This week's featured artist, Lisa Loeb, has always been a big reader. Her band was called Nine Stories as a tribute to her favorite author, JD Salinger. If you were to name a band to honor your favorite author, what would you call it, and why?

A. The Rivendell Ryders. Rivendell is the elven city in The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Ryders would refer to the nine ring wraiths, also known as the Nazgul or the Black Riders, who rode fell beasts that flew them around Middle Earth, as well as to the horse masters in Rohan who helped defeat Sauron in the battle at Gondor.  I think if I were going to do a heavy metal band, I'd call them the Nazguls.

4) This week's song is her first and biggest hit. "Stay" was on the soundtrack of Reality Bites, a movie starring her friend and one-time neighbor Ethan Hawke. Ethan gave this song to the film's director, Ben Stiller, who agreed it was perfect for the film's closing credits. When you watch a movie, do you stick around for the closing credits?

A. I do. I always have. I remember going to a drive-in movie with my parents and getting angry at my father because he left before the closing credits ended. I hate to start a movie any place but the beginning, and I watch through to the very end and the screen goes dark.

5) In the 1990s, Lisa was popular for her style and appeared on many magazine covers, causing People magazine to comment, "Though she rose to fame as a singer, she's probably just as well known for her glasses." Do you wear glasses? If yes, do you consider your eyewear purely functional, there to improve your sight, or are your glasses an extension of your personal style?

A. I wear glasses. I consider my glasses to be both functional and an extension of my style, although I've never really thought about it like that. I always get titanium frames because they are so lightweight. I've had the pair I have on for 8 years, and they look almost exactly like the new ones that are out, so I haven't needed to replace them. 

6) Today Lisa does a show on Sirius Radio, and she enjoys broadcasting while her favorite collaborator, her cat, sits on her shoulder. Is there a pet in the room with you as you answer these questions?

A. No pets indoors. Barns are for animals, houses are for people, or so says my husband. If I wasn't allergic, I suspect we'd have a little dog, though.

7) Lisa raises funds for SCOPE, a charity that helps children from low-income families attend summer camp. When you were a kid, did you go to camp?

A. No. I went to Grandma's. She kept my brother and me over the summer. I guess camp was a thing in the late 60s and early 1970s but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone going to one.

8) In 1994, when this song was popular, the nation's attention was riveted to a white Bronco driven by a man named Al Cowlings. Without looking it up, can you recall why this was newsworthy?

A. I assume this is a reference to the O.J. Simpson chase, where the cops followed a white vehicle for miles because of Simpson's alleged involvement in the death of his ex-wife.

9) Random question: Can you do a cartwheel?

A. I couldn't do a cartwheel when I was young and agile. I'd probably break my neck if I tried one now.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

6 comments:

  1. #3 Well all picked great names for bands.
    #5 Ditto, I have also have titanium frames, not only are they light weight but they also don’t break when you sit on them.
    #6 I was at my cousin funeral last weekend and they have a light color cat and a Golden Lab so now my black dress is all covered with cat and dog hair.
    #9 Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7: Did your school have a Girl Scout troop? Girl Scouts have always camped, and I recall the sign on our campground said, "Camp Merrybrook: 1956." It was a year older than me! Our leaders used to tell us it was the Camp Built by Cookies. I googled it and girls still go there all the time today but it's now called Camp Cloverleaf. I'm jealous to learn they now have a POOL! Well, la-de-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rynders was my mother's married name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One pair of glasses for 8 years? I almost need new ones every year now. My grandparents lived in the same city so we saw them often. I did go to girl scout camp once. The one time my youth group went camping, I had to work.
    None of my grands have done to camp away from home. They have all done cartwheels!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.