Monday, June 05, 2023

He's All Grown Up

June is a big month for birthdays in my family, and today is my brother's turn.

Happy birthday, Brother!
My brother, age 8 or 9

I don't remember the day he came home, or my mother's pregnancy. I would have been two - almost three - when he was born.

He was a rascal from the start, though. My very first memory of him is this: when he started walking/crawling/moving around, he pushed a chair over to the counter, climbed up on it, and proceeded to eat an entire bottle of aspirin. 

I told my mother what I'd seen him do, and she whisked him off to the emergency room to have his stomach pumped. He was probably a year old. (I remember this because I was a hero for a day or so.)

Around the same time, a dog chomped on the leg of a very large stuffed doll that I loved, and my mother laid it next to the oven while she tended to other things. She was going to repair it. My brother, again with the chair, turned on the stove and set the doll on fire. We're lucky he didn't burn the house down.

When he was around 6, he took a pair of scissors to the hair on all of my dolls - including some old Barbies and a Midge that I wasn't supposed to play with because they'd belonged to my mother - and made them bald.

I imagine I made it difficult for him at school without meaning to - I was a straight-A student (and quiet and generally well-behaved) and he had to follow that legacy.

But those are old memories, and I want to talk about the wonderful man he has become. He raised three children - a stepson and two of his own. He runs a big company (yet still answers the phone when I call), and he is devoted to our father.

He likes to hunt and enjoys being in the woods, alone with his thoughts, I suppose. He also likes a good meal. He works very hard - too hard. He's always on the go, always doing something.
High School Senior

When my husband caught his hand in the hay baler, my brother stayed with me, brought us hamburgers when we tired of hospital food, and fixed the hot water heater for me when it broke the day I brought hubby home from the hospital.

He helped me out when husband had his ankle fused, and last summer when husband had his hip replaced. All I had to do was ask.

A few months ago, when I was having a problem, I talked to many people about it, but it was when I called him that I burst into tears and sobbed.

With his son, 1997
He's a caring fellow, and I have always loved him. So happy birthday, brother! (And yes, I know, you'll always be younger than me.)







In April 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.