Thursday, September 15, 2022

Thursday Thirteen

1. I have tried multiple times to create an account for my husband at our drugstore's website so I can keep up with his prescriptions, and every time it throws me out or won't accept it or whatever. I don't know if it's because we're using the same rewards card number or what, but it is awfully aggravating.

2. Yesterday I had to delete a comment from my Facebook page because someone called my husband names because he wants to stop getting the newspaper. The insult was uncalled for. I am not sure why people think they can write anything they want on these pages, or why they must be unkind.

3. Maybe unkind is the human default. It certainly seems to be at the moment, although I can remember when it didn't always feel like someone was out to get me.

4. My husband seems completely recovered from his hip replacement surgery. He took his time going back to his work and did his exercises. Patience in healing makes a difference.

5. I learned yesterday that tonsils can grow too big and even up into your sinuses. I had no idea. I had mine removed in 1993 because they stayed infected. The doctor told me at the time that I would be off work "a day or two" and I was off for two weeks. I never was able to get my final surgical checkup because the doctor passed away about four weeks after my surgery.

6. The headlines this morning indicate the possibility of a rail strike continues. I have no idea what comes in here by rail. Given that we have slow trains (no bullet trains like Europe and Japan), I suspect most of our goods are hauled by truck.

7. I asked my husband if I should be stocking up on anything. The only thing he is worried about is ketchup. He heard somewhere that there may be a tomato shortage because of drought in the west.

8. Shortages are good reminders of how connected we are, although I doubt most people look at it that way. But we should remember that the breeze from a butterfly over in Japan eventually affects someone in Virginia. Or that war in Ukraine affects grain quantity. Whatever. The connections are there. We may never know how, though.

9. September mornings remind me of school days, standing outside waiting on the bus. Usually, my brother and I stood together and argued. One morning, when I was feeling particularly melancholy, I asked him how he would feel if I'd never been born. "I would cry until I die," he replied. I have never forgotten that. It was such an honest and heartbreaking answer.

10. My brother and I fought constantly as children, but we are quite close as adults. Closer than many siblings, I find. We both know that at this particular moment in time, the two of us are the only ones who remember or know many things about the younger versions of ourselves. We are family not only by blood but because we choose to be.

11. We had some memorable fights as children, though. Once on the bus ride home, we began arguing over something, and he called me "a Playtex deodorant tampon," which upset all of the teenage girls on the bus and had me laughing hysterically. I remember it because so many other people heard it and were appalled.

12. I have no idea how I have bounced around so much in this entry. I thought I'd find a topic and stay there, but apparently my mind is all over the place at the moment.

13. Whew. The end!


___________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 773rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. I've had trouble creating multiple accounts at CVS and Walgreens to keep up with meds.

    The strike is not happening now thankfully. They worked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bouncing topics keeps it interesting. :-) My sister and I fought like crazy when we were kids, but are close as adults. I hadn't heard about a ketchup shortage, but I may need to stock up. I think my husband might starve without ketchup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this stream of consciousness and real sharing. The ketchup and tampon was funny. Your brother's answer at the bus stop profound and made me feel emotional for my siblings, those here and those gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard we should stock up on tomatoes, too. I've been buying an extra can or two of diced tomatoes, paste, and sauce every time I shop. I've heard we are using last year's product now and when it's gone... I've also heard it might be a good idea to stock up on flour, sugar and other baking supplies now if you do any holiday baking as those things may be in short supply then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2: Former Cubs manager Joe Maddon is on a media tour because his autobiography is coming out next month. He’s a talker, answering every question tossed to him and sharing even silly, irrelevant things, like that he was in the crowd when Barbra Streisand shot the concert scenes for A Star Is Born in 1976. (So?) Anyway, you would think that someone who enjoys interaction so much would be all over social media, yet he seldom tweets and doesn’t have Facebook or Instagram. He explained that if fans meet him at a bar or restaurant, he’ll answer anything. But online? No. It’s not an authentic interaction. He wants to see your face, he wants you to respond in real time.

    I think Joe is right about this. People often don’t act on social media the way they would face-to-face. It’s too easy to anonymously post and run. I suspect most people aren’t even at keyboards but on their phones, which encourages brevity.

    I don’t hate social media, but I try not to take strangers there seriously. Newspapers, radio and TV have all been abused over time. Now it’s Facebook’s and Twitter’s turn, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.