Saturday, June 04, 2022

Saturday 9: Cinderella Rockefella


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This record and video were inspired by popular tunes of the 1920s. Looking over your lifetime, which decade produced more of your favorite songs?

A. The 1970s. I listen to more of those songs than any others, and know more of them, too.
 
2) "Cinderella Rockefella" topped the charts in England, yet barely broke into the Billboard Hot 100 here in the States. Still, the number was known to American audiences, performed as a duet on variety shows like The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (Tommy and Kate Smith), This Is Tom Jones (Cher and Tom) and The Dean Martin Show (Nancy Ames and Dean). Do you remember watching musical-comedy programs? Did you have a favorite?

A. I remember Dolly Parton on Porter Wagner, Sonny & Cher, the Barbara Mandrell Show, and of course, Carol Burnette. I don't know that I had a favorite.

3) It was written by Mason Williams, a prolific composer and comedy writer, as well as a talented guitarist. He is best known for "Classical Gas," his 1968 instrumental. Do you enjoy instrumentals? Or does a piece of music need lyrics to become one of your favorites?

A. I like instrumentals as well as music with lyrics. At one point, I could half-way play Classical Gas on the guitar, but that was a long time ago. I listen to the soundtrack from Lord of the Rings on occasion.
 
4) This week's featured artists, Esther & Abi Ofarim, were considered the Sonny & Cher of Europe. A married couple, they had hits in the 1960s in both the UK and Germany and were depicted in magazines as the perfect young husband and wife. Fans were disappointed when, in 1969, they quit performing together and divorced in 1970 after 12 years of marriage. Can you think of a couple you knew in real life whose split shocked you? Or can you usually see it coming?

A. Apparently, I am blind to such things, and easily shocked.

5) Comparisons to Sonny & Cher are apt because, as with the Bonos, the wife's show business career fared better than the husband's, post-divorce. Esther's BBC specials were "appointment TV" in the UK during the 1970s. Today, with the advent of streaming and DVRs, viewers don't have to make sure they're in front of the screen when their favorite show airs. Tell us about the last show you watched. Was it live, streamed, on DVR or DVD/Blueray?

A. The last show I watched was Gentleman Jack, and we'd taped it on our DirecTV Genie thing.

6) She had a solo hit with Esther in Kinderland, a collection of children's songs. Can you recall the lyrics of a favorite song from childhood?  Where did you learn it (home, church, Scouts ...)?

A. Oh, Senor Don Gato was a cat! On a high red roof, Don Gato sat! He was there to read a letter (meow meow meow) where the reading light was better (meow meow meow) T'was a love note for Don Gato! I adore you wrote the lady cat! Who was fluffy white, and nicely fat. There was not a sweeter kitty (meow meow meow) in the country or the city (meow meow meow) and she was in love with Gato!

I learned that in elementary school from Mrs. Tingler, who was the music teacher. I remember many songs she taught.

7) Abi continued performing after the split, but more often worked behind the scenes as a record producer and music publisher. Would you say you have a good head for business?

A. I have a medium sized head for business.

8) After they finished school, both Abi and Esther served in the Israeli Army, and Abi saw combat. Have you served in our military? Did you ever consider enlisting?

A. I have not served in the military, nor did I ever consider enlisting.

9) Random question: How many keys are on your key ring, and do you know what each one is for?

A. There are six keys on my key ring, and I know what they are all for. One of them I don't need, I don't know why it is still on there, as the item it fit no longer exists, but I know what it goes to.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

7 comments:

  1. #9: I bet if we ask this question next year, that useless key will still be on the ring. I have a friend who has a massive key ring and I asked her what they were all for, she laughed and said she didn't know. I recognized two of them as mine and marked them with a magic marker for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about Carol Burnett. I loved her show too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 I was never a big fan of Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...#2! I forgot about some or those shows and I loved all of them. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I Love sound tracks way back to James Bond films, to the Lord of Rings Trilogy and Brave heart to Last of the Mohicans.. and so many more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Senor Don Gato cracked me up. I've never heard that before. You should record it one of these days so we can hear the tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is Gentleman Jack? I'm off to look for a trailer on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.