Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Husband's Ancestors

My mother-in-law sent us the photo below. I'd never seen it before. This is a copy of the original, apparently, as there are copy lines in the picture, but it's a cool photo all the same.


I'm going to guess this was taken in the early 1950s. The relatives, from left to right, are:

Aunt Genevieve, Aunt Franny (Francis), and Aunt Nancy (rear)

Jimmy (my father-in-law), Ella, and Arthur aka "Aut"

Ella and Arthur were my husband's grandparents. Grandpa passed away while my husband and I were dating, and I did not get to know him well. I know he loved to play tricks on folks and was a good businessman.

I spent a lot of time with his grandmother, who was very demanding and yet quite the character. She grew prize-winning roses and taught me how to grow roses, too, although mine never looked as good as hers did.

The dashing fellow who would become my father-in-law - doesn't he have a rakish look about him?

Of the three young women, Aunt Genevieve looks the happiest. Aunt Franny does not look very happy (and honestly I never knew her to be a happy person), and Aunt Nancy looks a little mischievous.

All of these folks, except for Aunt Nancy, have passed on.

Here is a news video of Grandma talking about the burning of the Botetourt County Courthouse in 1976.

Curio (virginia.edu)


1 comment:

  1. I was able to watch the video, but the sound was too fuzzy for me to hear what she was saying (Probably my bad hearing!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.