Saturday, May 08, 2021

Saturday 9: Mom


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Meghan Trainor's mom gets a vocal credit on this song ("featuring Kelli Trainor") because the audio of a mother/daughter phone call is included on the recording. Who is the last person you spoke to (not texted!) on the phone?

A. My friend Teresa.

2) The earliest version of this song was a poem co-written by Meghan and her brother as a gift to their mom. Do you enjoy writing/crafting/baking or making some kind of gift for people?

A. I have made some photo books and notecards to give away to people. But I'm not crafty so I generally don't make people things.

3) Meghan's mom ran Jewel of the Isle, a jewelry store in Nantucket, MA. Have you ever visited Massachusetts? If so, where have you gone?

A. I have not visited Massachusetts.

4) Mother's Day is a big holiday for card shops. So are birthdays, weddings, and dozens of other special occasions. Hallmark sells greetings for everything from "Congratulations on Your New Job" to "Happy Retirement." Who received the most recent card you bought?

A. I sent out some "Happy Spring" cards to several friends in March.

5) While Crazy Sam was growing up, her mother used to scold her for leaving dirty dishes in the sink. Sam admits it: as an adult she still puts off washing her dishes. Are you more like mother or daughter? Do you clean up after every meal, or do you let the dishes stack up?

A. I clean up.

6) Mother's Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother "Grandgran." What did you call your grandmother?

A. Grandma.

7) The German word for "mother" is "mutter." What other German words do you know?

A. Schadenfreude

8) In the United Kingdom, Mothering Sunday is celebrated. It's on the fourth Sunday in Lent (March 14 this year) and in addition to flowers and cards, mothers are treated to Simnel cake. Are you going to indulge in any sweets this weekend?

A. I plan to bake a small cake for my mother-in-law. Whether or not I eat any of it remains to be seen.

9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her mother's favorite: Hershey Bars! Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds?

A. I will have to pass this go-round, I'm afraid. I still cannot eat chocolate. But I appreciate the thought!

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

8 comments:

  1. "Schadenfreude" is a uniquely German word. For example, in French, "sadism" is "sadisme," but "schadenfreude" is "schadenfreude." It's true of Italian and Spanish, too. It's like only the Germans get the nuance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CountryDew:
    We have the same answers for #5 and #6.
    I always enjoy visiting your blog.
    Have a nice day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your answers. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a spice store not too far from me and I stop by one in a while for their chocolate covered... raisins, cranberry, blueberry, and coffee beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up schadenfreude, but what a sad definition. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. had to look up schadenfreude myself, I hear it all the time, and had a general idea of it's meaning but, I agree with Lori--sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to include schadenfreude in my list of German words!

    I'm sorry you can't eat chocolate. I derive great pleasure from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to give up chocolate for a year. Now I can have a small piece here and there. I guess you can't drink coffee either. I know you are a guitar player and we have the Fender guitar factory in our city.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.