Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Environmental Sensitivities

I wanted to write more about something I briefly touched on in yesterday's post - environmental sensitivities.

The world and I do not get along, generally speaking. I have allergies and sensitivities (they are two separate things).

My allergies include every grass on the planet except for a species in Asia, all trees, flowers, dust mites, bugs and insects, bees, shellfish, citrus fruit, cow's milk, and black pepper, among other things. I avoid the food as much as possible - none of it will kill me, it makes me quite sick, though. As for the pollen and dust, I do the best I can with that.

Face masks help a lot. I did not realize how much until this past year. I will be wearing one for the rest of my life, I suspect.

My environmental sensitivities include: deodorants, perfumes, perfumed soaps of all kinds, perfumed candles, lotions, and anything else that smells, animals in all forms, paint, new carpeting, cigarettes, cigars, bleaches and other cleaning products, dyes in clothing, and a myriad mountain of other things.

My nose is incredibly sensitive. I smell things other people cannot. For example, I smelled mold in the living room for several years every the summer, and we couldn't find the source. When we replaced the windows in 2019, the carpenter found rotted wood around the window frame in the living room. He removed that and replaced it with good wood, and I've not smelled mold in there again.

It bothered me so much that I didn't sit on that side of the room unless I had to, even though we couldn't find the source of the mold.

I do not go to people's houses. Most folks have animals and I do not begrudge them their pets, but I cannot take the dander. I don't care how many times one vacuums, to me, it smells like an animal. It's the same with cigarette smoke and strong perfumes. The odor can linger for days. So I do not buy anything used, either, unless it is washable.

Even washing doesn't always help. When I purchase new clothing, especially jeans, I have to wash them about 10 times before I can wear them. The dye smell on them bothers me greatly. I wash them in white vinegar or baking soda. All of my soaps, laundry and bath, are unscented. There isn't a scented soap anywhere in the house.

Once I bought a pair of black jeans and the dye smell would not wash out of them. I put the jeans in a closet in my husband's office, and two years later, I could still smell the dye in them.

My deodorant is unscented. So is my husband's. When we started dating, along about the fifth date, I told him that I wanted to keep seeing him, but he was going to have to do something about his aftershave and deodorant. He wore Old Spice and it made my face break out when we kissed. The next time I saw him, he'd switched to unscented everything. If I hadn't fallen in love with him already, I probably would have then. I mean, to give up Old Spice for me! That was love.

Additionally, this issue is not a little inconvenience or me being picky or whatever one might want to think. This sensitivity to the world makes me quite ill. I used to miss at least 30 days of school every year. I missed a lot of work, too, when I worked for other people. I refused to cover the schools because I became ill every time I went into the school building.

There are stores I simply cannot frequent because they smell. Before Virginia stopped allowing cigarette smoke in restaurants, we didn't go out to eat often because I couldn't take the cigarette smoke. There are still places that do not obey that law, and they do not get my business.

Such environmental triggers cause asthma attacks, which then leads to an upper respiratory infection, and sometimes a long illness that hangs on - no joke - for over a month. It is not worth visiting a friend with a pet, no matter how much I love the friend, to risk spending a month in bed. Especially since sometimes those upper respiratory infections go on into pneumonia.

Some people understand this. Most people don't. I don't have too many visitors in the house and don't like strangers in the house because most people wear perfumed something. Axe deodorant is the worst - it is hard to get that smell out of the house once someone has been here a while.

I do not clean with harsh chemicals - I mostly use white vinegar. I use furniture polish for sensitive people, even!

Some of these items became difficult to find last year as the supply chain faltered. I am at the end of a large tub of Cheer Free laundry detergent and am hoping I can tolerate washing my underclothes in All Free & Clear because I can't find Cheer Free anymore. It's been out of stock for months. All detergent is what I use on my jeans and such, but my lingerie has been washed in Cheer free for as long as I can remember because I knew that didn't make me break out in tender places. I hope those tender places can tolerate All. I will be finding out soon.

Unfortunately, I think being home this past year has made me even more intolerant to various odors. I walked through Food Lion yesterday and could not get down the aisle with the laundry detergent and cleaners. It took my breath even through my mask.

This is hard. It is also hard work to try to stay well when the world makes you so sick. I'm not asking for pity or anything, but I do wish other people understood that the perfume they've bathed in is not sweet-smelling to everyone.

To somebody like me, it's a prelude to a antibiotic.



2 comments:

  1. I am totally in agreement with you. I have the same issues. My parents did not wear fragrances because it really bothered my mom. I am the same way. My husband has had to try different things too so it would not bother me. I use fragrant free everything if possible. Same would any makeup. But I a, not as bad as you. We do have a long haired doxie and we are okay with her. I can use essential oils and I use Young Living. I use their cleaning products to. My nose is like yours. I can smell things that others can't. Now you know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as allergies, I don't seem to have any... but strong fragrances like perfume almost make me sick! Funny thing is, my husband says no perfume smells good on me, so I guess I just wasn't meant to smell "fancy". When we first got married, he loved the fragrance of Tabu, which his sister used. On me, he couldn't stand it. I didn't like perfumes anyway, so I'm glad it worked out that way. I don't own any cosmetics, simply because it's too much trouble; and think of the money I've saved over the years!

    Since my husband developed late-onset asthma, I am acquiring a new admiration for those who have breathing problems.

    I confess I used to be one of those people who had difficulty believing that folks who had some health issue that didn't show outward evidence they were real; I tended to assume they were just wanting attention. Talk about judgmental! Age has made me wiser and a little kinder.

    I've been blessed with good health all my life until the last few years. I'm sure the esophagus problem plaguing me lately was brought on by my own excesses over the years. I really feel for you, having all these problems through no fault of your own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.