Saturday, April 10, 2021

Saturday 9: The Bones


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics compare a relationship to a house, saying that despite superficial problems like peeling paint or broken glass, the foundation can still be solid and strong. What home improvement project is next on your list?

A. We are in a mild decluttering phase, but it is moving slowly. Nothing big on the horizon.

2) Maren Morris sings that she knows she and her lover can face any storm. Are you afraid of thunder and lightening?

A. I love storms. I have yet to capture lightning on my camera. It's a goal.

3) The video for this song shows Maren and her husband, singer/songwriter Ryan Hurd, on the beach in Maui. Would you rather go for a long walk along a beach or a hike in the woods?

A. The beach is easier walking for an old fart like me now. I used to love to hike in the the woods, though.
 
4) "The Bones" won Morris and her collaborators (Jimmy Robbins and Laura Veltz) the 2020 CMA "Song of the Year" Award. Here's your chance to pat yourself on the back. What's something you have done well lately? (Go ahead. We want to hear about it!)

A. My accomplishments during the pandemic year include: I no longer bite my nails (but I keep them cut very short). I lost 20 pounds (because I was sick). I have read 22 books so far in 2021. I have a poem coming out in Artemis. I've written articles for the local online paper.

5) The song was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Country Song. For the awards show last month, Maren put a lot of work into her look, including lightening her hair and lipstick and reshaping her brows. She was surprised when saw on social media that people confused her with reality star Khloe Kardashian. How long does it take you to prepare to face the world (on an average day, not for an internationally telecast awards show)?

A. Since the pandemic, I have stopped wearing makeup (no point in it because of masks), so it takes me about a half-hour to shower and dress. It used to be 45 minutes. Also, this song does not sound like a country song to me. It sounds like a pop song, so I was surprised to see it received a country nomination.
 
6) Experimenting with hair and makeup comes naturally to Maren. Her parents have owned the same hair salon for decades. She and her sister played there as children and took turns working the reception desk when they were in high school. Do you have a hair appointment scheduled?

A. I do not. I lost my hair dresser two years ago and bounced around from place to place, seeking someone. I found someone in September (yes, in the pandemic), and she cut my hair three times. I asked her in late November to cut it very short so I could stay away from places during the holidays, because I knew the coronavirus would be bad. Then when it was time to call to make an appointment, in early March, I found my hairdresser had just adopted a newborn baby! So I went back to a Supercuts and it looked like a dog chewed my hair off when the guy was done. After it grows out I will call my chosen hairdresser and see if she's back to work. If she's not, I'll keep bouncing around looking for someone else. But I don't think I'll go back to that particular Supercuts.
 
7) Mom and Dad do not go out of their way to play Maren's songs in their salon. They don't want to "bombard" clients with her music, just because she's their daughter. But, if one of Maren's songs happens to come on, they are naturally very proud. Where were you the last time you had to listen to someone else's choice of music? (Bank, doctor's office, friend's car, etc.) Did you enjoy it, or did you wish you could change the station?

A. I haven't been anywhere to notice music. When I used to actually go into stores to shop, I never minded what they were playing.
 
8) Maren says her favorite foods are tacos and tortillas. When did you most recently eat Mexican food?

A. I don't eat Mexican food. Too spicy.

9) Random question: What do you call that thing in your living room? Is it a sofa, couch, or a davenport?

A. We call it a couch or a sofa. I have never called it a davenport. Davenports are fancy pieces that no one ever sits on in our neck of the woods.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

12 comments:

  1. You've been so productive during the pandemic. You should be proud!

    I have stomach issues, so I understand your "gut reaction" to spicy food.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I find it harder to walk in the sand then in the woods. The sand is too soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CountryDew:
    I enjoyed your answers today.
    You have made quite a few accomplishments this year, congratulations.
    I do hope you get to feeling better!
    Oh, I also hope you find someone to cut your hair the way you want it.
    Have a good Saturday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you for the explanation of davenport. I do not hear that one often. My mom calls a couch a divan (dəˈvan) sometimes. I do not hear that term much either. I just looked it up and we have never had a divan...no back to it and sits on a wall. I just say couch.
    Good luck with your hairdresser. I hope she is back next time. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on having a poem published!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been having my hair cut at Supercuts for years. So far not bad experiences, not particularly good ones either.

    You're much more productive than I have been in 2020. Especially writing. If I didn't have pen pals, I probably wouldn't write much of anything other than Funny the World.

    I should have concentrated on reading during our quarantine, but I have only read on book in the last many months...and shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the poem, that's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I eat Tex-Mex foods, and I make sure it's not spicey in anyway. I L.O.V.E. storms, too, and the wilder the better, short of hurricanes and tornadoes that is... The storms in Scotland are EPIC, they say. It must be the Scot in me.
    Sweet that you got a poem published!
    I heard a long time ago that SuperCuts trained all their people to give a basic short or med length cut. Didn't ever vary. Cheapness was their draw or that of desperation, like you. Hope you get your hair dresser back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've had a busy year. Stopped biting nails (I started again), lost 20 lbs. (I gained them), 22 books (we might be about even there), and a published poem (no danger of me doing that)! A lot of good things happening there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not biting your nails is a major accomplishment. I remember going through that in high school... it was a very difficult behavior change

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, stop in from Songbirds and I been also decluttering but took break from it. Now need to get back on it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  12. We say couch or sofa too. We have a full size and a sofa-loveseat to match. I got my last haircut at Great Clips which is similar to Supercuts. The girl did a great job. Nice that you are getting a poem published. I have only read one book in 2021 but I do a lot of Bible reading. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.