Saturday, February 27, 2021

Saturday 9: Bills, Bills, Bills


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a cheating boyfriend. Unlike most songs, where the lover deceives by seeing another, this one squanders his girl's financial resources. She sings that he's ruined her credit. Do you know your credit score?

A. Yes, I know my credit score.

2) How often do you pay your bills? Do you handle them as they come in, or do you pay weekly, bi-weekly or monthly? Or are you lucky enough to have someone else handle your bills?

A. I handle the bills. I pay them as they come in, generally, although issues with the post office in the last several month has messed up my system.

3) Destiny's Child had a hit with "Bills, Bills, Bills." This girl group got their start in Houston, TX. During the recent, bruising storm, lead singer Beyonce sent food, money and water to her home state. Have you spent much time in the Lone Star State?

A. I think I drove through it with my family in 1976. So no. However, much of my mother's family relocated from Virginia to Texas, for reasons that elude me.

4) Beyonce is the breakout star of the group and went on to have a highly successful solo career. Can you think of another star who began his/her career as the member of a group?

A. Phil Collins (Genesus), Glenn Fry (Eagles), Michael McDonald (Doobie Brothers), Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Don Henley (Eagles).

5) "Bills, Bills, Bills" was performed a cappella by the kids on Glee. That Fox show ran for six seasons. Were you a fan? 

A. I have never seen the show.

6) In 1999, when this song was on the charts, SpongeBob SquarePants premiered. The show remains popular among the younger set. Have you ever seen it?

A. I have never seen the show.

7) SpongeBob has become an industry, spawning movies, a Broadway musical, video games and both coloring and comic books. Once considered children's amusements, today coloring and comic books enjoy a following among adults. Have you recently enjoyed coloring or reading a comic book?

A. Not recently, but I enjoy coloring.

8) Also in 1999, Walmart expanded to the United Kingdom. Do you shop at Walmart?

A. Sometimes. I haven't been in an actual store in about a year, but I have ordered things we use online.
 
9) Random question -- We've all met people who aren't exactly as they present themselves. Are you good at spotting a phony?

A. Apparently not. I became friends with someone who once was a man but is now a woman and had no idea for over two years. That is not being a phony - she was being herself - but it is something I thought I would have picked up on. (I know there are appropriate terms for this but I don't want to misuse them.) Otherwise, when I interviewed people for the newspaper, I tried to be sure they were being honest in their answers, but I am sure I was misled a time or two. As for my friends, hopefully they are all honest with me.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

10 comments:

  1. It is sad to see what has happened to the Postal Service and though there have been problems, you didn't see such a mess up until Covid hit and DeJoy curbed service. I am a retired Postal worker so I know how it runs. My brother in law retired last summer because it got to be too much. In the early years of my job at the Postal Service, I met a man who was once a woman. I was able to her his side of the story and it opened up my eyes to his true feeling. Look at a person as a person and not a label. Not that I don't have my own thoughts about things I don't understand, but I still try to be kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2 -- You, too? I JUST got a valentine. Nearly two weeks late. One of my neighbors works for the USPS and he blames Dejoy. He tells me the new policy on overtime is no policy at all. Sometimes they can't afford it, sometimes it's mandatory. My neighbor is frustrated, and so are we!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CountryDew:
    I also handle the bills.
    I enjoyed your answers today.
    I hope my friends are honest with me too.
    Have a great day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coloring is relaxing. Loved reading your answers. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #7 Someone at the senior center had a great idea of putting out coloring books for those waiting for an appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom (a retired rural letter carrier) had a problem with her mail recently, too. Well, sort of. She got an overdue tax notice and she was sure if she'd gotten a bill, it would have been paid. She looked through all of her papers and bank statements...no, she hadn't paid it. The odd thing was the overdue notice arrived in a plain white envelope...no return address, no stamp, no postmark. Mom sent the payment and the stampless envelope and told them she'd have paid on time if she'd gotten a notice and she considered getting the late notice a minor miracle. They kept her payment and returned the rest, envelope and all with no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe we are going to try the Wal~Mart pickup this weekend and see how it goes. My friends love it. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw an article in the news this morning about the whole post office issue--a family struggling with their bills because of the post office being late. I converted to all paperless bills a few years ago and am SO glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've shopped from Walmart infrequently, even though it's the only retailer in town. When I do, I do the curbside pickup option. I wish they had delivery but, living in a rural area like this, I'm lucky to have curbside!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rant: Hopefully we can fix our U.S. Postal service. For a country this size, with the whole of the middle of the country spread out like it is, they need support not any MORE privatization. I'd like to see a private company actually serving the mail to farms and ranches in the Midlands. End Rant..
    *Mother hen smooths feathers*
    Walmart. We won't go there. lol
    Sometimes people aren't being phony, but they are too shy to talk about some things. They act like they aren't going through stuff by applying a lot of bravado.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.