Thursday, November 19, 2020

Thursday Thirteen

The other day one of my professors posted that she had written "just" 32 novels - and that she was now removing herself from the "just" society. Thirty-two novels is quite an accomplishment, but it was "just" mass market paperbacks, or ghostwriting, or whatever.

This made me think how that one four-letter word needs to be removed from every description of ourselves. Because we're not "just" a human being. We're all human beings. We're each as important as the other, from the beggar in the street to the man who would be king. It's also a matter of self worth. I'm not just Anita. I'm Anita.

1. I'm not just a woman. I am A WOMAN. (I can roar, too.)

2. I'm not just a writer. I am A WRITER.

3. I'm not just a wife. I am a WIFE.

4. I'm not just a lover. I am a LOVER.

5. I'm not just my father's daughter. I am MY FATHER'S DAUGHTER. (His only one, too.)

6. I'm not just a sister. I am MY BROTHER'S SISTER. (His only one, too.)

7. I'm not just a poet. I am A POET.

8. I'm not just a friend. I am a FRIEND. A pretty special one, to some people.

9. I'm not just a news reporter. I am a NEWS REPORTER.

10. I'm not just the recipient of three colleges degrees. I have THREE COLLEGE DEGREES.

11. I'm not just the chief cook and bottle washer around here. I am THE CHIEF COOK AND BOTTLE WASHER!

12. I'm not just a blogger. I am a BLOGGER.

13. I'm not just a video gamer. I am a VIDEO GAMER.


That's actually empowering. I'm going to remove that word from everything!

_____________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 683rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, we must be careful of our language. My fascination is with "only". Its placement changes everything:

    I hit Walter in the nose.
    Only I hit Walter in the nose.
    I only hit Walter in the nose.
    I hit only Walter in the nose.
    I hit Walter only in the nose.
    I hit Walter in only the nose.
    I hit Walter in (his) only nose.
    I hit Walter in the nose only.

    Write on, Fussbudget!




    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Ma'am!!! good list and reminder.
    the library book series is good, start at number one... I think I'm on #4
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a long time I could only say 'I write poetry' rather than I am one. And I've never like the saying 'I'm only human.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a wearer of many titles, none are “just”.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS! I hate the word. I remember being told "you're JUST a nurse" back in the day, and being furious. I think my reply was something like "Yeah, resident doctor so and so, I'm JUST the nurse who saved your ass.".... great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this entry. Something to think about.

    I also liked the series of sentences about Walter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.