Thursday, July 23, 2020

Thursday Thirteen

Here are 13 books about writing. There are countless books on writing. These are some I have read.

1. Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert

2. Writing the Natural Way, by Gabriel Rico

3. The Writing Diet, by Julia Cameron

4. Writing Down the Bones, by Natalie Goldberg

5. Steering the Craft, by Ursula Le Guinn

6. On Writing Well, by William Zinsser

7. The Elements of Style, by Strunk & White

8. On Becoming a Novelist, by John Gardner

9. Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott

10. If You Want to Write, by Brenda Ueland

11. The Widening Stream: The Seven Stages of Creativity, by David Ulrich

12. Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft, by Janet Burroway

13. The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, by Christopher Vogler

My favorites of these would be If You Want to Write, The Writing Diet, and Steering the Craft. But there are as many books out there telling a person how to write as there are ways to actually write a sentence.

There is no one right way to write. The only truism is that if you don't write, then you aren't writing. You can still be a writer and not write. You can live creatively and not write. But if you don't write, you aren't writing.

That's it. That's the most important thing.

Any books inspire you? Feel free to list them, I'm always looking for more to read.

______________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 666th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. yes, I've read an excellent one, that taught me to write! don't censor, don't re read or correct. Just write... then put on your editors cap later, to go back and change them if you feel it is necessary. Two different hats, two different parts of the brain. Can't for the life of me remember who it was, it was a man...
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of a few on your list, but only read Elements of Style. I like how it was simple, straightforward, and short. I want to learn more about #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie Goldberg has been my go-to. Here Cracking Open the Writer's Craft is good to. I loved Annie Dillard's A Writer's Life (I think that's the title.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strunk and White is the method I was taught way back in the day. As far as writing for teens, I have used a lot of techniques from Kylene Beers, Jennifer Seravello, Jeff Anderson, Dave Barry, and Mary Ellen Ledbetter.

    ReplyDelete