Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Suprise!

I call this song, Away. I wrote it about 30 years ago (music and words). I have never played it for anyone other than my husband.

At the time, we were struggling with infertility issues, and I reached the conclusion that I would never have children long before the doctors or even my husband did. I wrote this song around then. I had many things to be concerned about - not having a child when I wanted one, how my husband would react when he finally realized he would never be a father. This is what came out of that myriad of emotions.




Here are the words:

Away
By Anita Firebaugh

There's a photo of you on my wall that I don't recall hanging.
But it doesn't mean nothing at all. It's just my heart filled with longing.

Chorus:

Since you went away, I've spent hours staring into the flames.
People call me, I have nothing to say, except that I'm okay.
And they go away.


I sit around and I wait on your calls. But that phone's never ringing.
So here I am feeling lonely and small while my heart keeps on breaking.

Chorus

In the morning's light, I sit staring at the edge of the night.
Wishing you were here to hold me tight, what wasn't right?
Why did you go away?

I see your face in the back of my mind and my soul starts to quiver.
People say I'll forget you in time, but my heart's crying, "Never!"

Chorus

Won't you come back and stay?

2 comments:

  1. Brava, Anita! It's a beautiful song. I feel both sad and comforted by it. My story is similar. It would've been nice to have children. What a different story we both would've had. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your song was very thought provoking. I had 3 miscarriages before having kids, 2 naturally and one by adoption. Every May 2 I think of the first child I might have had. That child would be 41. I have a friend that wasn't able to have children. She had to grieve the loss, but in reality, it will be with her forever. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.