Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Chasing the Comet

Somewhere up in the sky is Comet Neowise.

It's about 3 miles across and it won't be back for about 7,000 years. It looks nice through binoculars. We've seen it a few times now. 

I spent several hours yesterday going over my camera settings so I could try - again - to photograph this comet.

We could see it with our naked eye when we first went out, a streak or smudge on the dark sky, just below the Big Dipper.



And while I was able to get the Big Dipper, finally, the comet vanished, even through binoculars, as the heat and humidity sent steam and mist rising into the upper atmosphere and blocked the view.

Night photography is not my strong suit. I spent years learning to photograph the moon, and I can do that now with decent results. But the stars? Until last night, I'd not even been able to get a star.

I guess there is progress there, in that I was able to get the Big Dipper before cloud cover rolled in and shuttered the entire sky.

But dang, I want to see that comet on my camera.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't even tried. I live in the city and the lights keep us from seeing it. I know what you mean. When I was on a cruise in Alaska, I got to see the Northern Lights. It was so pretty, but I could not photograph it on my simple plain camera. But the image is in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know about it so you're a step ahead of me! I often can see things but the small camera I use can't.

    ReplyDelete