Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday Thirteen

1. It is hard to write a Thursday 13 when your mind is full of news, which is all bad, and all about a virus that could mutilate your lungs.

2. Since we're all at home, I wonder what we are all doing now. I'm not doing anything much different from what I did before - I live in a rural area and after my husband's surgery in November, we have pretty much been self-isolating since then.

3. My daily routine consists of cleaning the house, reading lots of news, reading or listening to a book, writing a blog post, writing emails, fixing lunch and dinner for my husband (we each do our own breakfast), and generally puttering around.

4. I miss the routine of work from when I had full-time freelancing going on. I had a more regular schedule, I saw more people, and felt like I was generally more involved in the world and more active in society.

5. Yesterday I participated in the Roanoke Valley Day of Giving, because I wanted to do something positive. Handing out dollars is not necessarily the best way to give of myself, but it is one way.

6. Before the coronavirus forced us all to self-quarantine, I had been contemplating where I would like to volunteer my time in an effort to force some change into my routine. I've put that on hold for now. Everything is closed, anyway.

7. I have a calligraphy kit and a jewelry-making kit here. I received both for Christmas in 2018, and didn't get to them because I was called to write my county's 250th anniversary magazine. I think I may have time to pick those kits up now and see if I can develop a new skill.

8. Many learning opportunities abound online, too. Open Culture is a free one-stop shop for learning, if you're into that. You can also spend money on things like Masterclass, The Great Courses, or pretty much anything else.

9. YouTube has videos that can teach you yoga, tai chi, guitar, etc. There is no reason to be bored or to stop learning if you're not sick and in bed.

10. I wonder how much of these changes will become a part of our life in the future. Are these temporary societal structure changes, or will some become permanent?

11. I wonder if businesses will discover they don't need office space. Will we have ghost buildings everywhere, and industrial parks sitting empty?

12. Some things require you to be onsite, though. I can't imagine that everything can be done at home. I can't make a car at my house!

13. I hope everyone is trying to destress during these stressful times. Breathe, visualize something lovely, and let it all go away, if only for a moment. Trying times call for different measures.

Here's a meditation video on youtube. Check it out and feel better all over! It only takes 5 minutes.

_______________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 648th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine doing most of our life online for long! I'd be more optimistic about not having cabin fever if I hadn't recently wrenched my back. Life is pretty simple AND strange right now. So many are struggling and stressed about the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life is topsy turvy. I never realized how much I read while commuting to work, or as I slip away at lunchtime. Now that I'm home, I haven't touched a book. And I need to work housework into my daily schedule.

    #10 is thought provoking. Now I'll wonder about it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past year, I have been volunteering at the local historical museum. Mostly cataloging, which I learned there. Easy peasy, interesting stuff to do.

    I'm hoping that whatever happens after this is over is positive and the dumbos in office are forever gone. Yup, just call me Pollyanna.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.