Thursday, January 09, 2020

Thursday Thirteen

The bills are starting to roll in on my husband's ankle fusion surgery. I thought a little breakdown might be interesting.

1. Basic metabolic panel  - $247.00 (labwork)

2. Cutting open his ankle - $2,147.00

3. Cutting his tibia - $1,629.00

4. Each of his pills he had to have (blood pressure meds), cost $3 each.

5. A countersink (?) - $1,559.50

6. A drill bit - $937.50

7. Another drill bit - $912.50

8. A blade (for cutting bone, I suppose) - $314.00

9. Another drill bit - $1,181.50

10. A bone graft augment (?) - $10,793.50

11. An implant screw (x 2)  - $3,629.50 each

12. An implant plate - $7,446.00

13. More implant screws (x 2) - $2,813.00 each

So far the total bill is over $75,000 and more bills come each day for things like the anesthesiologist, the doctor to read his EKG, the person to draw his blood - they bill separately for everything, now, and if that person doesn't partake in your insurance, you're liable for their entire bill.

Fortunately, so far as we can, our insurance is covering most everyone. Even so, we will be out five figures before this is over and done with.

A person should not go bankrupt because they have the misfortune of being sick or having something happen to them. Nor should they have to resort to "GoFundMe" or dances or cake bakes to pay off their hospital bills. Yet this is what happens around here - people really do have dances and things because of their medical expenses, hoping to pick up a couple thousand to keep the wolves of Isengard at bay - I mean, the medical professionals from garnishing your paycheck or taking out a lien on your house.

I don't understand why this is considered acceptable. We're supposedly the wealthiest nation in the world and people have to have cake bakes to pay their medical bills. There is something wrong with that scenario.

_______________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 637th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I blame the lawyers and insurance companies. Back in the late 80's and early 90's they were filing lawsuits left and right and that made the doctors' liability insurance rates skyrocket, so they charged more, and so on and so on. For a while there doctors were leaving PA in droves and the ones that stayed wouldn't take on new patients for fear the new patients might be the suing type. Then I think they figured that it didn't totally break the back of the medical industry or the patients so now everyone wants their "piece of the pie." My old doctor charged my insurance $250 for a 15 minute appointment in which he did nothing but listen to my heart and lungs and renew my prescriptions. It's crazy. I still think there was more wrong with Obamacare than right, but surely as rich as this country is we should be able to figure out something that works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that no one should ever be without good health care or have to have cake bakes to be able to afford the care they need. It is sad! What makes me furious is that around here, the drug addicts get free needles in order to stop HIV and other diseases and yet, my husband is struggling to get the insurance to help pay for his diabetic supplies to save his life. UGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cost is shocking! Hope all is well now at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This breakdown of costs really gave me something to think about.
    I totally agree with you that no one should ever have to have
    cake bakes to be able to afford the care they need to pay their
    medical bills when this is supposed to the wealthiest nation we
    live in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.