Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Money Obsessed? Maybe. Maybe Not.

The question today: If you had to be obsessed with money, sex, sports, religion, or food, which one would you choose?

Sigh. Ok, maybe picking questions out of a book isn't a good idea, but it's what I'm doing for the moment.

I don't watch sports or care much for sports, so that one is out immediately. Sex - hell, I'm too old to be obsessed with that. That leaves money, religion, or food.

Apparently I'm already obsessed with food, since I am overweight and have trouble dieting. So I think the choice there maybe is already made. I eat sometimes because my mouth is lonely. If that isn't obsession, I don't know what is.

But money - isn't every citizen of the United States obsessed with money? Isn't that the American way, to want more more more of the green stuff, so we can buy more more more of the useless stuff? Do we even know when "enough" money is "enough" money? That should differ for everyone, I guess - a person with six children will need more money than I will, or so I would think.

What would we be like as a people if we weren't obsessed with money? Would we be kinder? Would we be nicer? Would we score higher on the happiness charts?

We score pretty low on the happy country charts:


This comes from this report called World Happiness Report. There's some interesting reading in that document if you've an open mind. There are reasons why we score 19th and Finland is number 1.

So money is not my choice, but it is the choice of where I live and, I suspect, the choice of most of the people who live in the United States.

I already know I'm obsessed with food, apparently. That leaves religion, which I am not obsessed with. I do have an interest in spirituality and in learning about various religions, but I am not obsessed with any particular religion or even with learning about the religions. It's something I do sometimes when I'm in "seek" mode. I never know what will strike me as being a good thought at any particular time.

Honestly, I would rather not be obsessed with any of these choices. I'd rather be obsessed with music, with learning in general, with healthy eating (maybe that is still a food obsession, I don't know) and exercise, and with living the best life I possibly can. I try to do the latter but I strongly suspect that's a fallible goal.

1 comment:

  1. lots of truth here i'm obsessed with moments in my days

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.