Thursday, September 26, 2019

Thursday Thirteen

1. Today I have so many things to do, I don't know where to start. So I am starting here, with my Thursday 13 list. So one thing down.

2. Other "to-dos" include paying bills, writing up a roster of the advertisement for the magazine project I'm working on, working on the magazine project, writing an article for another publication, making the bed, doing the dishes, washing clothes, and getting dressed!

3. I have to look at just the next hour - sometimes the next minute - sometimes or I stall out, freaking out over all the stuff I need to be doing but don't particularly want to be doing at that moment.

4. Take a breath and just go down the list, I tell myself. Go make the bed. Go get out of your pajamas.

5. Yesterday I was looking at Facebook and I have started skipping over political posts. Some of the comments on those posts are beyond the pale. Would you talk to your mother like that? Sheesh. If people are very vile I block them, even if I don't know them and would likely never see them again, because I don't want my mind wrapped around their trash.

6. My office looks like a big wind whipped through it. I have papers everywhere.

7. And I have about 20 wild turkeys outside of my office window. I've been seeing them for a while. I think it's a bunch of hatchlings from spring.

8. When I went with my husband to his doctor's appointment earlier this week, I almost fainted when I got off the elevator. I have actually done that before. I don't know what it is with me and elevators, but sometimes they make me lightheaded.

9. There is a poem in every valley, every hollow, every person. But finding it can sometimes be difficult. I'd like to think each poem would be a pretty poem, but in some areas all that one can see is rock and shadow.

10. We are in a drought. I was reading this morning that the water table is dropping and some people are starting to have dry wells. This is not good. Well, it might be good for well drillers, but not for folks who want a shower.

11. I watched the Country Music series by Ken Burns on PBS. I thought it as a little too glib in places, and it could have been twice as long, probably, but you have to stop somewhere. I liked the parts about the Carter family the best.

12. I don't listen to country music. I stopped when I was 9 or 10 - old enough to have a radio in my room and could twist the dial to Adult contemporary. That's what I've listened to since. I like the Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, Elton John, the Bee Gees, Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow. I don't know too many new musicians, though I like Pentatonix. I like the song "Uptown Funk," which is by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars (I know that because Alexa tells me so every time I ask her to play it.). When my husband and I play Song Quiz on Alexa, we fail miserably on the decades after the 1980s. There are new songs I know when I hear them but my ability to retain the titles and musicians seem to have gone away with my age.

13.  There is nowhere to go where you can lose yourself completely. But I think that's where a lot of folks are trying to get to.

_________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 622nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. The last episode of the Ken Burns Country Music documentary had us weeping, more than once! I loved it. Sometimes getting dressed is a big event for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's the sudden change in altitude that gets you lightheaded from elevator rides. Earlier this year I found myself getting lightheaded after driving up a mountain. That was a new sensation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #13 is a correct observation, and there are fewer a fewer places to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.