Saturday, June 08, 2019

Saturday 9: Today is My Birthday!

They say it's my birthday! Happy Birthday to me!


Saturday 9: I'm Moving On (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Chyvonne Scott sings that she's sick of her lover's "conniving." Tell us about a time you felt deceived. (It doesn't have to involve romance.)

A. November 7, 2016. Well, moving beyond that, let me think. Lots of times I wrote things and did not get paid for them even though I thought I would be. That's just being cheated, though, and not exactly deception. It happens to freelancers all the time.

2) She realizes it's time to move on to another love. What's your favorite love song? Is it about a relationship that's running smoothly? Or is it like "I'm Moving On," about an unhappy love affair?

A. You Don't Bring Me Flowers, by Neil Diamond & Barbara Streisand, which is not a happy love song. We'll follow that with Nowhere to Go, by Melissa Etheridge, which while not exactly a happy song at least isn't about breaking up.

3) Though Chyvonne Scott enjoyed only limited success as a recording artist, she was very popular in New York clubs. When did you most recently listen to music performed live?

A. It's been a while. I performed music myself the other week over at my dad's house. Does that work?

4) In 2017, this song appeared on a Samsung commercial that poked fun at rival iPhone. Is your cell phone an Apple or Android? How did you choose your phone?

A. I have an Apple. I chose it because my brother said I would like it and find it easier than an Android. I had a learning curve with it but I like it now.

5) Chyvonne is an unusual name. In 1965, when this song was first released, the most popular baby names in the US were Michael and Lisa. Do you have any Michaels or Lisas in your life?

A. Not in my close circle of friends, no. There's a Lisa at the reception desk of the physical therapy place.

6) Also in 1965, Winston Churchill died. In researching this week's Sat. 9, Sam discovered a Churchill quote that's new to her: "I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." Share something interesting that you recently learned.

A. I learned that I have to accept a new normal and that looking backwards at what you could do and comparing it to what you can do is self-defeating behavior.

7) In 1965, one of the most successful movies ever made, The Sound of Music, was released. Have you ever seen it?

A. Many times. Here's a fun thing: When I was young, I used to think in the song "Do Re Me" where the song goes, "Te, a drink with jam and bread" that it actually said, "Te, a drink with Jane and Fred." I wondered for a long time who Jane and Fred were.

8) Lava lamps were already popular in England and Brussels, but in 1965 they were introduced in the US. Do you think lava lamps are cool?

A. Yes, I think they are cool. I used to have a strobe light but I don't think I ever owned a lava lamp. Maybe I should remedy that.

9) Random question -- You have to buy something very personal that you find embarrassing. Would you rather pay cash for it, so your identity would be unknown but you'd have to face the cashier? Or order it online, where you could avoid looking anyone in the eye, but you have to share your name and address?

A. Women have spent their entire adult lives going into pharmacies and purchasing tampons, pads, KY lubricant and condoms. There is nothing I purchase that is that embarrassing.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. A drink with Jane and Fred....bahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Friend!!🎉🎉🎂💐I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!

    “Don’t chase me down” for my answer to #1 it’s June 3, 2018.This one just happens to be close to another important event but it’s ok “ all is good” Don’t you have a cousin Lisa ( by marriage) on your dad’s side?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Maybe you should celebrate by finally getting that lava lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good call on the deception date. :(

    I also love lava lamps!

    Wishing you a very, very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday from me too...and my friends Jane and Fred....

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK45e-bRob8

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean it isn't tea with Jan and Fred? I am so disappointed. :(

    Happy Birthday!! Hope its a very good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the stuff we have to purchase...I am not embarrassed by anything anymore.
    Oh I love your answer for #7! I am glad I am not the only one that makes up lyrics to songs. Hee, hee.
    Happy, happy birthday!!!!! I hope your day has been great! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.