Thursday, March 14, 2019

Thursday Thirteen #595

Thoughts from the local weekly newspaper (in honor of Sunshine Week)

1. If you're going to run for public office I don't suppose you have to be so clean you squeak, but I personally would think twice about electing a pardoned felon. I want law abiding people in those places of power. Of course, I thought that people wouldn't want someone who liked to talk about grabbing pussy or shooting people down in the middle of the street, or advocated violence or racism, but that was pre-2016. Now I don't know anymore.

2. If a county is a rural community, and it has 500 businesses that are agricultural based, why would you want to get rid of the agriculture teacher in the school system?

3. Clean Valley Days are good ideas and it is a shame that so much trash ends up along the road. I've noticed it has worsened since the county reopened the landfill and stopped hauling its trash elsewhere. People and business owners who are hauling trash should cover their vehicles so things don't blow out into the street right-of-way.

4. I am pleased to see that the middle schools, anyway, still put out a yearbook. I thought those treasures had become a thing of the past. I have mine from 7th-12th grade, and because my husband was four years ahead of me in school, we have a combined accumulation of 12 years worth of annuals because he has his from 7th-12th grade, too, and there's no overlap.

5. We have a team in the Recreation League nicknamed The Ballers. Um. Who came up with that? They won the league tournament for something, although the cutline beneath the photo doesn't say what. Basketball, maybe?

6. Lots in the high-growth part of the county are going for $75,000 and up. Whew. That's more than we paid to build our home back in the day.

7. Document shredding is April 13. I always mean to do that but I forget, and the one time I didn't forget I arrived too late and refused to sit in my car in line for hours.

8. We have had a spat of breaking and entering lately. Better lock things up.

9. Apparently "procuring drugs as a prisoner" is a different charge from possessing drugs wherever.

10. Warm weather means its auction time again. I see a few advertisements for area auctions of estates and farms going out of business. I like to go to auctions but (a) the pollen count right now would have me wheezing and (b) I seem to always sit behind someone who smokes a cigarette. So I don't go. I don't need anymore "stuff" anyhow.

11. I only found 10 things to write about in the local weekly, and I'm not going back through it, so we'll just have to make up stuff for these last three entries.

12. Do you have stink bugs where you live? The things are such a nuisance. It took me a while to figure out that the brown streaks on my curtains were stink bug poops or pukes or something.

13. The birds are migrating back. I've seen a robin. Spring can't be far away.


----------------------------
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 595th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Re: #1 - I'm thinking the alternative might have been a greater mistake
    Re: #3 - Yes, the majority of trash along the road way is from open bed trucks. Sad!
    Re: #13 - We are seeing a variety of birds at our fountain but mostly blue jays. Welcome Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just visited my friend at Warm Heath Village yesterday and she told me they stopped their subscription to The Roanoke Times because they raised the rates. One thing after another has me fearing for the future. Thank God for the spring birdsong coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the best of my knowledge there is already a county law on the books about covering the beds of trucks. If my memory is correct there was a big mess about the wording. "Apt to blow" was used to describe what was to be covered. Does that mean Garbage, mulch, brush, gravel or anything else in the bed of a truck? It was never resolved as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our high school mascot is the Baler, a shortening of Haybaler (in my day), for the farmer, not the machine, raking hay into bales. Fortunately, the high school still has a strong agricultural program, which I hope will continue for a long while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.