Saturday, February 09, 2019

Saturday 9: Waiting for a Star to Fall

Saturday 9: Waiting for a Star to Fall (1988)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) "Waiting for a Star to Fall" was literally inspired by a falling star. The singing/songwriting duo of Boy Meets Girl was at a big, outdoor concert and could have sworn they saw a falling star in the night sky. Have you ever seen a falling star?

A. Many times. My husband and I like to go out and look at the stars during specific times when the meteor showers are high, like when the Geminids or Perseids are visible.

2) They offered this song to Whitney Houston, who declined to record it. Whitney did have hits with two other songs they wrote: "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and "How Will I Know?" What's your favorite Whitney song?

A. I Will Always Love You.

3) Boy Meets Girl were George and Shannon, a husband-and-wife team originally from Seattle, WA. In 2016, Seattle was named America's most "bike-friendly city." Do you own a bike?

A. No. I did when I was a kid, but I haven't had one since I was a teenager.

4) George and Shannon met for the first time at a wedding. She was a guest, he was in the band. Think of the last wedding present you bought. Was it from the bride and groom's registry?

A. No. My bride and groom eloped and so they don't have a registry. I bought them something that I thought they might find special. I haven't given it to them yet so I can't say what it is.

5) In 1988, when this song was popular, 98% of American homes had a TV set. Today, that figure has dipped to 96%, presumably because Millennials are watching more content online. What's the last video you watched online?

A. This song that I'm answering these questions about. But before that I was watching guitar players.

6) In 1988 saw the introduction of one of the most memorable slogans of all time: "Just Do It." Without looking it up, do you know what brand "Just Do It" promotes?

A. Nike.

7) In 1988, Sonny Bono went from entertainer to Republican politician when he was elected Mayor of Palm Springs. Have you ever met the mayor of your town?

A. I know all the important people in my community because I was a government reporter. I know the mayors of all three towns, the supervisors of the county, the county administrator, the circuit court judges, the House of Delegates state representative, etc. I met several governors of the state.

8) Michael Douglas took home the Oscar in 1988 for his portrayal of Gordon Gekko in the movie Wall Street. The American Film Institute named Gekko one of the "top movie villains of all time." Do you think bad guys are as interesting as good guys?

A. I think they are interesting but I don't identify with them.

9) Random question: Have you ever seen a photo of yourself naked? (Baby pictures don't count.)

A. Not as an adult, no. If one exists it is without my knowledge and consent.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

10 comments:

  1. "Geminids or Persiods?" You really know your onions! And, thanks to you, I know a little more, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you learned that I can't spell and even though I checked the spelling on that before I published I forgot to go back and correct the spelling. :-) I fixed it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I think it would be nice to watch the stars with my husband but he would not think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you and your husband go out to watch the meteor showers together. My hubby wouldn't be terribly excited and most likely would be in bed, anyway.
    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we lived in the country so we could see the stars better.. living in the city there is too much light. One day!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so out of shape but I keep thinking that I want to ride a bike on the rails to trails someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have a telescope and we used to go out and look at the planets. I enjoy just looking up at the sky and watching the stars and the moon. It is so peaceful. Makes me want summer! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Just Do It" certainly worked for Nike, didn't it? Really stuck in everyone's memory banks. I don't even wear Nikes, but I know their slogan.

    Happy Saturday! And have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A benefit of living at the end of the earth is frequent sightings of meteor showers, falling stars, and northern lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im with you on that last question.... Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.