Sunday, December 02, 2018

Sunday Stealing Does the Arts

Sunday Stealing Does the Arts

Classical: If you were an Olympian god, what would you be known for?

A. I would be a Cassandra, I'm afraid. Cassandra was not a god, but she was cursed by Apollo to utter prophecies that would come true, only no one believed her. So not a god, but god-cursed.

Byzantine: Do you prefer gold or silver accessories?

A. I like silver or white gold.

Medieval: Are you religious?

A. I'm etherial and spiritual.

Gothic: What is your favourite historic building?

A. I'm rather partial to the entire town of Fincastle, Virginia, which was founded in 1772 and named after Lord Fincastle, the son of Lord Dunmore (Virginia's lieutenant governor back in the day). The town was originally called Miller's Mill, named after John Miller who had a mill there, but two years later it was changed to Fincastle. It is the county seat of Botetourt County and it hold records that include surveys by George Washington and documents by Thomas Jefferson, among other leading men of the American Revolutionary War period. Much of the town has been preserved and it has a enchantment over it when the people are not around.

The Botetourt County Courthouse in Fincastle was built in 1848; a large portion of it burned
in the early 1970s and was rebuilt. Fortunately the documents were in a fireproof safe.
As a result of this fire, the state implemented a new regimen for keeping documents. 

The town of Fincastle circa 2006 as seen from Godwin Cemetary.


Renaissance: Have you ever had a time in your life when you felt enlightened or changed?

A. Yes. Thank you, Hollins College (now Hollins University).

The chapel at Hollins.


Baroque: Do you enjoy the finer things in life?

A. I like fine chocolate.

Rococo: Is your bedroom full or trinkets and pictures? If so, which pictures adorn your walls?

A. I only have one picture on my wall in my bedroom. It is of a gazebo.

The only picture in my bedroom. Now you know.


Neoclassicism: If something came back into fashion, what do you hope it would be?

A. Was sloppy dressing ever in fashion?

Romanticism: Do you often see things in a positive light?

A. No, I'm a glass-empty kind of girl.

Pre-Raphaelite: Which book would you like to see turned into a film?

A. The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion, by Fannie Flagg. It demonstrates a remarkable time in our history, when women took over work performed by men because of the war, and includes long-lost information about women who flew airplanes.

Impressionism: Do you look for details or take everything in at once?

I take in a big view and then dive in deeper for the smaller things. I like to take my time when I am looking at . . . whatever I'm looking at.

Art Nouveau: When were you last at the theatre?

A. We went to a play back in the summer.

Surrealism: Why does the porcupine think it's a duck?

A. Because someone pulled it's pin cushion things off and now it's a little quackers.

Pop Art: Do you enjoy pop culture?

A. Pop! Pop! Pop muzic. Pop. Pop muzic! It depends on what it is. Some things yes, some things no.

Contemporary: What did you do today?

A. I went to an author's gathering at the library in the neighboring county to meet up with some old friends and make a few book purchases for holiday gifts.
__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in
Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

6 comments:

  1. I love the gazebo picture! It's romantic and the bedroom is a good place for it. I have never heard of Fincastle, Virginia and I have been in Virginia many times in my life. My dad was from a very small rural town called Clinchport in the southwestern corner of the state near Natural Tunnel State Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely town Fincastle is! It reminds me a lot of our local town of Ligonier, PA...also founded in the 1700s. I recognize that gazebo picture...Home Interiors. Man, we all had tons of that stuff back in the day. I still have one or two prints but that is all. It kind of kills me just a little bit when I see pictures at garage sales for $2 that back in the day I had to have party after party in order to earn the ridiculous amount of hostess points needed to pay half-price (which was still expensive).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Fanny Flagg would have another hit on her hands if her book was made into a movie. I love Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop CafĂ©, it’s one of my favorites. ( Towanda!) I, like you, look at the big picture and then dissect it to find out more and what makes it the way it is. Maybe I should’ve been an analyst instead of a stylist the pay would’ve been better for almost the same job. Ha ha!! In mythology # 1, I would be Hebe, Goddess of youthfulness ( she helped the gods and goddesses feel and look youthful) and supposedly was a lover to Hercules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I'm in Virginia, I'm definitely making Fincastle one of my stops! :) And I love Fannie Flagg's writing, I have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son LOVES Fannie Flagg books. I will have to ask if he has read that one. He claims he has read them all...so maybe.
    I say sloppy dressing is in fashion now! Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever happened to Fannie Flagg??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.