Tuesday, December 04, 2018

A Rafter of Turkeys

A flock of turkeys is also called a rafter in some places. Don't ask me why. Maybe because turkeys sit up high in trees to roost.

Anyway, we had a whole gang of turkeys (they're also called gangs) in the backyard on Sunday. I counted 40 turkeys at one time, the largest flock (or rafter or whatever) I've ever seen. I had no idea there were that many around.

Thirty years ago we never saw turkeys. Then one or two showed up, and now we have a rafter of 40 birds roaming around. Pretty amazing, really.

Here are photos. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get all 40 in one picture because I had to wait until they left the back yard to open the door and slip outside with the camera. There are over 20 in several of these photos, though.

I count 21 turkeys in this picture.

I count 27 in this picture (don't forget the one in the tree).

I like this shot because I caught one as it flew over the fence. I count 20 turkeys in this photo.


A close-up. The tree to the left has dried-up persimmons on it.


Call me "Handsome."

There must be something there.

The gang of three.

Twins.


Joe Cool the Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.