Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Why Landlord and Tenants Can Never Be Friends

I know there are people who own lots of rental property and think it is a good way to make a living. I am not one of them. I have one house - an old farmstead my mother left me - and it is nothing but a curse.

People do not take care of places they rent. We install folks into a cleanly-painted, decent-looking place, and then they leave it looking like a trash pit.

Here is the most recent example.

This is what the place looked like before we turned it over.

Paneling and brown cabinets.

Freshly painted walls.

Fireplace with paneling. Nice floors.

Kitchen again.

Fresh paint. Nice floors.
 
And here is what it looks like a few days after my latest tenant vacated the premises:

Unauthorized painting of the paneling, and what the hell did they do the ceiling? And what's that black stuff on the walls? (See that one white ceiling tile? That's one I gave them to replace one that they said needed to be replaced because of a small leak. No one said a word about the whole ceiling being covered with … something. And the floors? Not so nice now.
They are so sticky you can't walk on them.

Unauthorized painting of cabinets. And again, what is that black stuff?

Did they sit around letting off smoke bombs? What?

Every room has black all over the walls.

My personal home hasn't been painted in years and if you took a picture from the wall you wouldn't be able to tell where it had been. WTF?

I certainly can't explain it.

Oh yes, let's just tear away the drywall in the bathroom while we're at it.

No clue what caused this. None at all.
And this, my children, is why landlords and tenants almost always have issues. Because the landlord expects the tenant to not live like a pig and smoke up the place and use incense or whatever went on here.

I couldn't make this much mess in three years if I tried. WTH is wrong with people?

2 comments:

  1. In this age of entitlement, people seem to think they can do whatever they want with no accountability and no consequences. People like the one who just left your property are what is wrong with our society as a whole today - they somehow feel justified in taking whatever they can without paying, destroying whatever they can without paying, and somehow making it YOUR fault when they are confronted with their misdeeds. Not to be unkind - yes, I WILL be unkind - I hope that individual ends up living in the gutter because that is where they belong. Cheer up my dear - hell has a place for people like this and while you may never see them get what they truly deserve, know that what they will pay in the end will be far worse than anything they may have had to pay on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you didn’t give them back their deposit! That is terrible. I lived in rented places most of my life and I never left anything looking like that or did any “changes” without permission from the landlord. So sorry they did this to your house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.