Saturday, April 21, 2018

Saturday 9: Love Don't Cost a Thing

Saturday 9: Love Don't Cost a Thing (2001)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Love may not cost a thing, but everyday stuff does. What's the most recent thing you bought? How much did you spend?

A. I went to Walmart and spent $118 on various personal items, 2 pairs of jeans for my husband, a pair of cheap earphones for my cellphone, and some plant food.

2) This video begins with Jennifer Lopez on the phone, on a veranda with a view of the sea. What's the view from the room you're in right now?

A. I see the branches of a dying blue spruce, oak trees that are starting to leaf out, and the Allegheny Mountains, Tinker Mountain in particular (which could also be considered a Blue Ridge Mountain, but it depends on the geologist).

3) She sings that she doesn't want her lover's gifts or money, she just wants his attention. Let's change that a bit. Which would you prefer: a gift that was personally chosen but you know you'll never use, or cash?

A. That's a hard one. I try to gracefully and gratefully accept anything given to me.

4) She met her first husband, dancer Cris Judd, while working on this video. She met Ben Affleck, to whom she was once engaged, while working on a movie. Think of those you're closest to -- where did you meet them?

A. I met my husband at a football game, although we also rode the school bus together when I was in elementary school (he doesn't remember me). I met one of my close friends at a job, another at a volunteer organization, and two others when I wrote articles about them.

5) She and her current boyfriend, former Yankee Alex Rodriguez, are both workout fanatics. How often do you exercise?

A. I try to walk at least 5,000 steps every day along with 10 minutes of "moderate activity" according to my Fitbit. I generally get in more than 5,000 steps but I don't always make the moderate activity. Given my health issues, my doctors and my physical therapist think those are good goals for me.

6) Her high school nickname was "La Guitarra," because her curvy shape reminded her friends of a guitar. Share a high school memory about you and your friends.

A. One time several of us skipped school and went to see The Rose at the theater. The movie blew us away. We did not get caught, either.

7) JLo just completed filming her third season playing a police detective on NBC's Shades of Blue. Did you see anything memorable on TV this past week?

A. Not really, no.

8) Jennifer Lopez posts often on Facebook, and Twitter, and Instagram. Do you feel you spend too much time on social media, do you wish you posted more often, or do you try to avoid it altogether?

A. I don't wish I posted more often, nor do I avoid it. I'm more of a voyeur, reading others' posts and keeping up with news stories. But mostly I blog here on this blog if I have something to say, and that's a more limited audience.

9)  Random question: You're at a yard sale and come upon an unusual little knicknack that would make the perfect gift for your best friend. The tag says $7. You think that's rather high for a castoff. Do you pay it? Do you pass on it? Or do you try to get the seller to lower the price?

A. I would ask if they'd take $5 for it and if not, I'd probably leave it. It would have to be something pretty special for me to buy to give away. I usually don't give my friends reused items.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that Walmart trap. It used to be that you'd run in for one thing and couldn't leave without spending at least $50. Now you can't leave without spending $100. Sigh. Online grocery shopping has been great for me...I don't have to see all the other temptations. I don't even have to go inside to pick up my order. I pull into one of the special spaces and call in that I'm there and they bring it out and put it in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skipping school to go to the movies! Gasp! Aren't you a renegade! ;)

    I should get a pedometer and track my steps. I've been feeling guilty about not moving enough lately. I wonder how much I actually do move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you skipped school with your friends to see The Rose! I remember being obsessed with the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having trouble leaving comments so I apologize if you have gotten 'spammed' by me.
    I enjoyed your description of what you can see outside of your window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice that we had the same skipping school experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing about # 3... I was given a Christmas gift of two gift cards inside a Christmas card with a beautiful sentiment that read “Everyday, holidays, all the days... are the days I’m grateful you are in my life!” and signed with “ love ya” from the special person giving the card. Yes, I read it over and over till I remembered all the words like an excited teenager. ( I’ve been alone too long and wasn’t prepared to see those words from anyone much less this person, even though was hoping someday in the future I would) I was speechless and It became my most cherished possession. A few months after receiving the gift I returned the whole gift to the giver without using the gift cards. ( I was trying to think of something worthy of this special gift to purchase with the cards!) . I was taught that gifts of this nature should come from desire of expression not a feeling of obligatory obligation or as a means to a certain outcome. Money and possessions don’t impress me much ... they are nice to have but money can always be made and possessions bought but actions, acknowledgements and sentiments or gifts from the heart are special and are irreplaceable. ( like when your brother gave you the Christmas mouse... priceless!! ) The card’s sentiment was the most valuable part of the gift , not what was in the card and because the sentiment wasn’t real or ready to be given it was wrong to accept and keep the gift.. I could have easily keep the gift but what would that have said about my character and integrity? I use my friends and love ones generosity and expect them to help me get better things in life. I know women that do that, use and take advantage of men and their friends .... sorry, i’ll take the harder journey and keep my self respect. I always try to give and accept graciously and excitedly gifts that are given by me and to me by others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.