Monday, November 05, 2007

Diet and Exercise

My efforts to lose weight are proving fruitless.

About 24 years ago, when I weighed a whole lot less, I fit into a very tiny-waisted wedding dress.

Today I suppose I'd need a barrel.

My weight began to creep up almost immediately after I married, but I kept it in check. My husband also has weight issues and his favorite diet when we first married was the Scarsdale Diet, which was very similar to the Atkins Diet.

So occasionally we'd do some half-hearted Scarsdale Diet and things would be lovely.

Then it was time to have a baby, and endometriosis reared an ugly, painful head. Infertility loomed. I was 23 years old.

The doctors put me on a variety of drugs, some of which mimicked pregnancy in an effort to "kill" the endometriosis so I could then have a baby.

My weight blossomed like a stink flower overfed on Miracle Grow.

Then at the tender of age of 29 came the hysterectomy and hormone pills. Boom. Instant menopause. Also instant migraines and more weight gain.

My weight crept and crept. Up and up. Conspicuously missing was exercise - I wasn't raised to exercise. I lived on a farm, I slung hay bales when I was young.

But I no longer did those activities. Hiking, something I loved to do but my husband did not, became infrequent because I feared to go by myself as the world churned with rage.

I worked part time and full time jobs and put myself through college. I stayed busy but my work was not physical.

In August 2003 I took a trip to Williamsburg. The weather was hot and humid. I huffed and puffed during the entire trip.

I vowed to lose weight. But nothing happened.

My husband went on the Atkins Diet in 2004 and his pounds fell off. I followed suit and lost weight too. I also gained problems with depression and constipation. I felt terrible.

I went off the diet. But even today, bread makes only rare appearances in our house; we eat much better and healthier. I began buying organic - fresh fruits, veggies. Not so much processed food. Fewer snacks.

I attempted to exercise in spurts, but nothing stuck. I couldn't find the time and I didn't think it would help.

Finally, in December 2006, I began walking very slowly on the treadmill. Before this I would attempt to do miles at a time and become frustrated when I couldn't, so I didn't go back. This time I just did five minutes and called it a day. Then I did seven minutes. Then 10.

In a month I was doing a 1.5 miles every day. I began to lose weight. Things looked good. I was feeling better.

Then the dizziness struck. I couldn't keep my balance when I was walking the floor, much less a treadmill. Desperate to keep my momentum, I bought Denise Austin tapes. I did them as best I could. A couple of times I lost my balance and fell on my face, but I persevered. In July I was able to get back on the treadmill.

In August 2006, I developed shin splints. This hurt a lot.

I bought a recumbent exercise bike so I could get off my feet. I began lifting small weights.

Finally in November I hopped back on the treadmill. I worked myself back up to 20 minutes a day. Then Wham. February of this year brought me plantar fasciitis that turned into a heel spur.

And here I am, still limping along. I am walking 10 minutes a day on the treadmill, sitting 10 minutes on the bike. Occasionally I go to the sports complex and walk around it twice, which is supposed to be about a mile. Some days I make it around four times before my feet hurt so bad I can hardly make it to the car.

I also lift weights. I do some exercises on a medicine ball, I get in the floor and stretch. Occasionally I do a Tai Chi routine with a video tape. What's really missing, though, is good cardio and I know that.

My feet are still hurting, though they are better. I ignore it and do the best I can.

The weight has crept back. I'm not quite where I was in 2005 but I am close. I crave sugar a lot. I try not to give in but often do. I eat 100 times better than I did even four years ago, but the weight keeps coming.

Despite the return of the flab, I feel better than I did 2 years ago. I have more energy and I am stronger. I can walk longer distances without feeling winded. The effort has had tangible results.

Just not the results I want.

I'm not asking for solutions, I'm just trying to put it out here where I can look at it. To many people I am sure I haven't done enough. Not enough willpower, some think. No self control.

Maybe they are right.

But for me, the changes I have made have been difficult and in some respects incredible. I know I can do more, if the injuries will halt long enough for me to figure it out. And I really want to find a way to change my eating habits that doesn't leave me feeling depressed, or sick or weak or any of the other things that diets often do to me.

I have to be able to think and work and get through the day.

I am not looking for longevity. I figure I will live as long as I am supposed to. But I would like to feel good while I'm on this earth. I'd like to be able to walk to McAfee's Knob without wondering if someone will have to ride up in a 'Gator to get me back down.

I consider myself to be in terrible shape. Mrs. E., bless her heart, told me during our recent first "get to know a fellow blogger" meeting that I didn't look anything like she expected from my descriptions. She did not think I looked as bad as I believe I do. Her words made me feel a little better about myself.

I would like to lose 15 pounds by Christmas. I think this is doable, even with Thanksgiving.

I just don't have any idea how to go about it at this particular moment.

9 comments:

  1. Solving your pain will help since it's hard to stay consistent with injuries getting in the way. My professional suggestion for your plantar fasciitis/heel spur is intense massage therapy on your feet and calves. You can place a tennis ball (golf ball eventually) under the bottom of your foot and give enough pressure to "hurt so good". Start closer to your toes and work your way towards the heel.
    This helps break up the scar tissue that binds up the muscles on the bottom of the foot causing the Plantar Fasciitis. Stay consistent with it as it is prone to returning. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can readily understand how pain can make the idea of exercise so daunting. Since I have had this rib injury where it hurts to breathe (for one month), I have gained seven pounds because I'm not walking and hiking as I usually do. Also, I think as I've gotten older, my metabolism is down to a sluggish crawl, so losing weight is so difficult. And I love to eat.

    Do you think perhaps it would help to put in more time with the recumbent bike, if that doesn't hurt your feet? It sounds like you're eating well so I don't know what changes you could make there. It took forever, but last year, I lost a little bit by cutting out my nightly big bowl of ice cream. But I missed it! I had been eating that nightly bowl for years!

    Best of luck to you in your quest to lose weight. I'll be pulling for you. (And probably trying to lose these pounds I've put on, as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't give up. No matter how much you do it helps, even it's not as much as you would like to do. You already do eat healthy, like a bird ;) Have you tried lifting light weights? My problem is I get bored of the same routines so I keep looking for something else to do. I'm also going to try to make 15 pounds by Christmas my goal, which is going to be real tough since I'm also quitting smoking, and having the Halloween candy bowl on the table doesn't help either! Too bad you don't live closer we could be walking buddies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of medical stuff for one person. It's quite exciting to hear that you've been meeting real live internet people. How confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you find the weight loss secret, let me know. For the heel spur, myofascial release gave me a week's worth of relief. Got another treatment next Monday; will have to plan any walking activities for the few days following.

    Meanwhile limping slowly through hills and hollers (while being circled by a border collie who really wants me to go faster) doesn't burn many calories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Guru - I see a massage therapist who has worked on this with me, along with an acupuncturist and a chiropractor and my medical doctor. Unfortunately I can't take anti-inflammatory medicine and that seems to have been the biggest impediment to healing.

    Beth - mostly I ignore the pain and continue as best I can. The recumbent bike and I often have words. I like walking better but I think you're right, I need to use it more.

    Ms. E - perhaps we could cheer one another on? Wish we could be walking buddies because I don't have one and wish I did.

    TopChamp - my med history is very long and I have been through a lot more that I don't even talk about. That is why I say for me I am actually doing pretty well.

    Becky - where can you find this myofascial release in Roanoke? Sounds worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear your frustration. It's a vicious cycle! I agree with becky about using myofacial release. I broke & dislocated my shoulder in May and after the traditional treatment ran its course, I had a series of rolfing sessions...I'm back to almost 100%. Maybe coincidence, but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear countrydew

    If your current massage therapist does not do myofascial release, try this link to search for one in your area. The ABMP is a reputable organization.

    Also don't forget that the greatest natural anti-inflamitory treatment is ICE.

    MISS Balance Guru :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Guru - thanks for the link. Sorry for the gender error! I will indeed be using more ice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.