Friday, October 26, 2007

A Tale

A post at Blue Ridge Blue Collar Girl about moths reminded me of a tale I read a very long time ago.

I have not been able to recall the name of this story, or where I saw it. I did a search on the 'net but came up empty handed. Perhaps someone will recognize the story from my paraphrasing and elaborations here and point me towards the original version so I may give proper credit. I am taking many liberties with the basic plot and writing this story:

**Update 10/28/2007: Beth found a link of a very similar story for me. I am not sure if this is the same one I read; I tend not to think so because I don't recall the queen being involved and I thought it was a ghost story, not an angel story. However, it is close enough that it could very well be.**

Now on with my "version" -
****

The Ghost That Saved The Train

The night sky showed stars glittering like diamonds as Ben blew the whistle on the steam engine. The train gathered speed as it carried its passengers through the October night along the grade toward London.

He'd traveled the route many times now, and always felt his pulse race as he headed into Finnigan's Straight Away. The slight incline helped the train move quickly down the tracks toward the trestle bridge.

Suddenly a ghostly figure appeared in the lights before the train. The man waved his arms up and down, frantically signalling the train to stop.

Alarmed, Ben applied the brake for all he was worth. The train screeched and finally slid to a stop, scaring passengers and crew alike.

Ben jumped from the engine and walked down the track, seeking the man who had stopped him.

He found no one.

Puzzled, he sat down for a moment. In the distance he could hear the river and knew he was not far from the trestle bridge. On impulse he walked the track while his crew waited anxiously, trying to calm the passengers. What he found nearly made his heart leap from his chest.

The bridge was out.

The ghostly man had saved the train from pitching over the ravine and into the darkness. He had saved many lives, whoever he was.

Ben hurried back to the engine. It took a long time to find safe passage for the passengers, and even longer to back the train down to the nearest station.

The unknown man preyed on Ben's mind. He wanted to thank this savior. As he headed for bed, he walked around the engine's front and noticed a large moth, now dead, attached one of the lanterns the train used for light.

He picked up the lantern and went into a dark room in the station.

When he lit the lantern, there before him on the wall was the outline of the man he had seen, only this time the arms were not waving.

The moth had saved the train.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great story! I can see why it haunted you. I found a bit of information about it on the Web. According to that version of the story, Queen Victoria was on the train! Here's the link:
    http://www.konig.org/wc153.htm
    Thanks for the link to my post, Country Dew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this story, but can't think of its title. I'll be going to the link provided by Beth next to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Very much the same story, Beth, although I've never read the Billy Graham book listed at that website. And I don't recall a queen being involved and I thought it was attributed to ghosts, not angels. Perhaps it is an early urban legend, pre-internet (because I was very young when I read this, so of course I could be remembering everything incorrectly).

    You are a better sleuth than I, because I couldn't come up with anything close at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.