Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Smoking Toilet

Unfortunately for me on a recent evening, my husband ate something that disagreed with him. When he finished taking care of business, the bathroom smelled less like a petunia and more like some demon from hell died in there.

I sprayed Lysol. I proceeded to spray it on and all around the toilet bowl, including on the lid and the rim.

I left the room, but didn't get very far. "Maybe I should just clean the toilet," I thought.

I grabbed a bottle of The Works toilet bowl cleaner. I squished the middle of the bottle, sending the stuff cascading under the rim and down into the water.

Within seconds smoke began to rise from the rim of the toilet and from the water, everywhere there was Lysol and The Works running together.

I immediately realized I had mixed chemicals. This is a dangerous (and very stupid) thing to do. I grabbed the toilet brush and began flushing, using water to dilute things. I also tried not to breathe the fumes, although I am sure I did.

These are pretty volatile chemicals, and I sheepishly went to my husband to tell him what I'd done.

This is because we have a septic tank and I was afraid the thing might blow up from the mixture.

However, nothing like that happened, so no harm, I guess.

But everyone should be very careful with chemicals. Even cleaning the toilet can be hazardous to your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.