Monday, August 20, 2007

Varmits in the Garden




I woke this morning to find that my tomato cages had been ripped up from the ground, and two of the posts holding my fence around the garden broken.

One of the tomato cages lay all the way down at the other fence, the one that keeps the cows out of the yard.

The tomato cages are *not* light; in fact, they are rather heavy.

The tomato plants, if not twisted up, have been heavily eaten and gnawed upon.

My hypothesis is a young buck got into the garden in spite of my little plastic fence (which has never been very good at keeping them away, anyway), and then his horns became ensnared in the tomato cage.

That is the only way I can account for the tomato cage being 20 feet away from the garden, anyway. It certainly would have taken one really huge rabbit to carry that thing that far!

I would have liked to have seen the buck trying to get that tomato cage loose, if that is indeed what happened. The poor thing probably panicked.

This evening I will try to repair the damage as best I can, but I suspect the life of my garden has been severely compromised.

Next year I think I need a better fence.

1 comment:

  1. We had a critter strike last night too. Something ate the newly planted fig tree, cut it in thirds, sharp and smooth. And here I was worried the drought would kill it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.