Friday, May 04, 2007

Movie: Man of the Year

This 2006 release stars Robin Williams. It is directed by Barry Levinson.

We watched it last weekend as a pay-per-view on DirectTV.

We generally enjoy Robin Williams; my husband is an ardent fan. However, in recent years that ardor has cooled as Williams' seems to have become practically manic in his delivery.

Williams portrays Tom Dobbs, a talk show host (think Bill Maher or Jon Stewart) who runs for office and wins.

Meanwhile, there is a problem with the new electronic voting machines sanctioned by Congress. Pretty girl realizes there is a problem, gets in way of big corporation, gets smeared, attempts to tell Dobbs that he really didn't win, falls for him, etc. etc.

The movie had about three laughs and was very heavy handed in its messages. While I agree with the messages, I am not sure they make for good entertainment. Yes, the electoral college system we use is weird, to say the least - a man winning the presidency by winning 13 states? Sure, it can be done with our system.

That was one of the messages.

The other is the complete distrust of electronic voting, and I really agree with that message. I think the machines can be rigged and altered and are totally unsecure. But it's hard to make an entire movie around it, especially a movie that didn't know whether it was a comedy or an action flick.

Maybe if they'd chosen total action flick?

Anyway, I was glad we didn't waste the money at the theater to see this.

1.5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was a high end movie either. It was a good video movie but I wouldn't want to have seen it in the theatre. My standard is much higher there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.