Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Moo, I say!

We raise beef cattle. They are not organic, which I regret, but I am not in charge of raising the cows.

The cows get a series of shots, all duly recorded. We keep track of ours with little tags in their ears; my father-in-law, apparently, is not so anal in his record keeping, as I don't see tags in the ears of these cows. Maybe they fell out.

The calf, that's the very front cow with its rear pointing toward you, is eating, and he's nearly big enough to be weaned. Looks like a trip to the stockyard will be happening soon. But prices have dropped a bit; not good news.

The nationwide drought is forcing farmers to sell livestock because there is not enough feed for winter. We are in that position ourselves. If the next cutting doesn't produce the needed bales, we will have to sell out, too.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, they're free ranging. They roam about 100 acres. The rest of the farm is cropland.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.