Monday, August 07, 2006

The Butterfly

 I saw an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail in the field sucking nectar from a thistle bush. I had a difficult time getting a picture as I have no telephoto lens. Creeping up on a butterfly is not an easy thing to do.

I took a long walk through the cow pastures. Walking the cow pastures is a challenge. The ground is uneven and there are all kinds of surprises. Thorn bushes, thistles, cow patties. High grass buzzing with grasshoppers. Rocks.

I am sad to note that the doe I saw wandering around the house this weekend has lost her fawn. I saw it dead along side the road. I feared that might be the case when I kept seeing her without it. Poor Mom Deer looked so lost. I know I'm supposedly just projecting human feelings onto animals but I believe they do feel and notice things.

For instance, once my mother killed a mouse and tossed it outside. An hour later, a number of mice gathered around the little body in a circle. We watched, amazed. They were there for a few moments and then hurried off. We were sure they were having a funeral.

The deer seem to know when one of their own is killed. My husband is a hunter, and he once saw a doe nose at a downed buck in effort to see if he was alive. And then she watched as he took the buck away. He swore she was upset about it.

I have danced with the deer myself. I know how to stand still and watch them. They get very close if you're quiet and nonthreatening. I have even called them from the woods by playing my guitar.

1 comment:

  1. I'm convinced that animals have emotions, even if they don't show evidence of some "higher" thought processes. For example, when one of my pet birds died a few years ago, the other one became quite clingy for a few weeks. Perhaps she sensed my sadness, or perhaps she just was sad on her own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.