Saturday, October 10, 2026

Saturday 9: Big Girls Don't Cry

 


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When is the last time you shed a tear?

A. Just last night. We were watching an episode of JAG and it made me cry. Sometimes my eyes just leak a lot.

2) Lyricist/producer Bob Crewe recalled he got the idea for this song while watching a movie on TV. "Big girls don't cry" was a line from the 1956 film Slightly Scarlet. Give us a quote from another movie.

A. "You shall not pass!" - Gandalf to the Balrog in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
"They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" Legolas in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
"My friends! You bow to no one." Aragorn to the hobbits in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

3) This inspiration came to Bob during the late night/early morning hours. What time of day are you most productive?

A. I seem to be most productive between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. It takes me a while to wind up and then I run out of steam.

 4) Bob wrote another song for the Four Seasons, "Silence Is Golden." The band was not happy with their recording and never released it as a single. Three years later, The Tremeloes had an international Top 10 hit with "Silence Is Golden." Tell us about a decision you wish you could do over.

A. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have had my hysterectomy when I was 24, the first time they did surgery for my endometriosis, instead of continuing to try to have children and ultimately experience five more surgeries before having hysterectomy at the age of 29. It was a lot to put my body through.

5) Before he got his big break, Four Seasons lead singer Frankie Valli worked as barber. Do you have a hair care appointment scheduled?

A. I do not have a hair care appointment scheduled. I probably won't have one until the last week of October.
 
6) Oscar-winning actor Joe Pesci has a connection to the band. He was a young chum of Four Seasons founding member Tommy DeVito. By the time DeVito left the group and found himself overwhelmed by gambling debts, Pesci was a star. He helped his friend out, making Tommy his personal assistant and getting him cameo roles in films. Tell us about someone who has been there for you in tough times.

A. My husband has been with me through many tough times. He's my rock. He's held my hand through infertility, through job changes, through college work, through family strife, and when I cry at movies. What more could you ask for?
 
7) The Four Seasons disbanded in 1977 after 17 years together. The original bandmates reunited onstage 1990 when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was an important night for them professionally and personally, too, as it gave the old friends a chance to reconnect and mend fences. Is there anyone from your past you wish you could reach out to?

A. Not really. I think the past is better off left where it's at.

8) Another hit song from 1962 was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." Tony Bennett compares San Francisco to Rome, Paris and Manhattan. Have you visited any of those four cities?

A. I have been to Paris. I went in 1979 as part of a school trip. I still remember being completely entranced by this one painting in the Louvre; all I remember of it is a hand that was so translucent you could see the candlelight from a low flame shimmering on the skin. I don't know why that captivated me, but it did. I remember that better than I remember seeing the Mona Lisa.
 
9) Random question – You're home all alone. Do you close the door when you use the bathroom?

A. I close the door when someone is at home, including my husband. But if I am alone, I generally don't. For one thing, I live in a rural area and if anyone is looking in my windows, they are trespassing big time, and for another, I have the windows covered with sheers so no one would see anything anyway. 

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.