Saturday, July 25, 2026

Saturday 9: Special Day





Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Peggy sings that she feels good enough to climb a hill. Will you be doing anything athletic today?

A. I am not very athletic. I suspect stripping the bed and changing the linens might be the extent of my athletic prowess on this Saturday.

2) However, she was also tempted to climb back in bed. Is a nap in your plans for today?

A. I very seldom nap. My husband says I should nap, it would make me feel better. 

3) She tells us that she looked in the mirror and told herself it was time to "lose the blues." Do you ever speak out loud to yourself?

A. I talk to myself all the time and always have. Only now I might utter something like "seriously" under my breath and have my cell phone perk up and go "Hmm?"

4) Peggy wrote this song for the 1953 remake of The Jazz Singer. She performs it in the movie, too. In the 1950s, female singer-songwriters were unusual, but not so today. Can you think of another woman who not only sings but writes her own material?

A. Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow, Carole King.

5) Her co-star in the film was Danny Thomas. Today he is best remembered as a philanthropist and founder of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, but he was quite a star in his day. He appeared in nightclubs and movie musicals and, from 1954 to 1963, had his own sitcom. Do you know the show?

A. I think it was called The Danny Thomas Show, wasn't it? But I don't recall watching it. And I'm not sure if that's right.

6) When Peggy Lee was trying to break into show business, she supported herself as a short order cook. She was required to turn orders around quickly. Are you fast and efficient in the kitchen?

A. I dislike cooking, but I can get a meal on the table in a hurry if I have to.

7) Just when her career started to take off, Peggy had to take a break when she had her tonsils removed. Do you still have your tonsils?

A. I had my tonsils removed in 1994, when I was 31 years old, and it was incredibly painful and a difficult recovery.

8) In 1953, when this record was released, Matchbox Cars were introduced and they remain popular today. Did you ever play with Matchbox Cars?

A. Yes, I played with Matchbox Cars, along with Hot Wheels.

9) Random question: You're walking past a filthy puddle. Floating on top you see a dead bug, a cigarette butt, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar?

A. If I can flip it out of the puddle with my foot and I have a tissue in my purse with which to pick it up, maybe.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.