This is not a new poem. This is a poem that I wrote a long time ago. But it works for this particular prompt.
Daughter by the Tomb
A Villanelle
Be still, mother, I pray for rain.
I am not the one to curse the day
Nor ask the dark to be light again.
The thunderous strikes are foreordained
and all winds blow a separate way.
Be still, mother, I pray for rain.
I shall not kneel where you have lain.
I will not lift you from the grave
Nor ask the darkness to be light again.
The rose thorn pricks but brings no pain.
The leaves grow brown, I cannot stay.
Be still, mother, I pray for rain.
The sun has dried the yellowed grain.
With withered face you felt each ray
And asked the dark to be light again.
The dew has left its glossy stain
And blends with tears I've wiped away.
Be still, mother, I pray for rain.
Don't beg the dark: be light again.
_____
Last month, The Gal did a 30-day gratitude challenge. I've swiped it to do for July. Only I'm going to try to do it in rhyme, just because.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.