Thursday, October 03, 2024

Thursday Thirteen


1. I didn't quite forget it was Thursday, but I came close.

2. I've been trying for weeks to get a flu shot. Finally, last night I got an appointment scheduled at the pharmacy for 7 p.m. for both my husband and I. We arrived to find I had no appointment, but he did. They gave me the shot anyway but charged me $42. 

3. I spent part of the morning on the phone with the insurance company trying to find out why I was charged for something that my paperwork says should have been free.

4. The concierge for the health insurance company suggested I had run across a new employee who didn't know what he was doing. I don't know if he was new, but he did not know what he was doing when it came to my insurance.

5. This is strange because CVS is owned by Aetna. Shouldn't they know how to work together? Now I have to go back to CVS and ask them to fix it.

6. We went to the Fincastle Festival on Saturday. I put up pictures but wrote nothing to go with them because while we had a nice hour there, the Fincastle Festival is not what it once was. Once upon a time, the Fincastle Festival drew 10,000 people or more, and the streets teemed with folks shopping for quality arts and crafts.

7. Large craft shows like the Fincastle Festival once was do not appear to be the draw they used to be. Is this because of Etsy? People making their own little crafts? It's not from the pandemic - the Festival was dying long before that.

8. I also have not mentioned Hurricane Helene and the damage this power of nature wrought on the east coast. The hurricane turned into a tropical storm that left loads of water in its wake, and all of that water dumped on Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, and southwestern Virginia. Whole communities washed away in places where more than 30 inches of rain fell.

9. We are doing our part to help those who were inundated with winds and rain. We are helping farmers through our local farmers' cooperative, which agreed to match up to $25K in donations. We purchased many bags of beef cattle feed to be sent to the farmers who lost their hay and other food sources, and our purchase was matched by the cooperative. It seemed the best way to double the impact.

10. I've also made smaller donations where I can. There is so much that needs to be rebuilt and there are many who lost their lives. The last I heard, over 175 people so far have been found dead from floods. Locally, a young woman died when a chicken coop blew over on top of her in the very strong winds we experienced.

11. There is also a strike by the longshoremen, and this appears to have sent some folks into panic mode as far as buying toilet paper and eggs. Both are made here in the US and should not be impacted by a strike at the ports. However, some of the purchases may be to send to the folks who were more greatly impacted by the hurricane. It looks like panic buying, but perhaps not.

12. I am having trouble managing my time lately. I feel unmoored and ill at ease. I'm not sure what is going on. Perhaps it is the coming winter? The shorter days?

13. My pocketbook, which I have carried for years (since before the pandemic), finally fell apart. I have another but I have not yet changed them out. I seem reluctant to let go of the one that has served me for so long. It was a Kim Rogers, and I have another Kim Rogers to replace it with that I bought at the same time and stowed away for just such a moment, but I am quite attached to my old one.

______________


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 877th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anita, I was wondering how you were feeling after that lady crashed into you. We have Kaiser insurance and all shots are free. But I think you are not Medicare age and maybe that is why? I do agree with you about crafts. In the 90's there were craft boutiques that sold home made items. I do see things pop up during the holidays. The new age of kids just don't appreciate crafty items. I also see that this new generation like to keep decor on a clean and minimal level. That is nice that you are helping people out that suffered from the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a yarn store in Asheville that can't open because of everything, but they can do online orders. Knitters have been made aware. It's a little thing that can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3: Me and you, both. I got a bill for $750 since I don't have insurance. Um ... I not only have Medicare, I have a Medicare supplement plan, too. That's suspenders and a belt. So like you, getting to the bottom of this is on my list of things to do. #12: Me and you, both. That's why a literally keep a list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought only yankees like me called them pocketbooks. I thought purse was the going name in VA and south of. I feel unmoored a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.