Saturday, October 12, 2024

Saturday 9: Jolene




Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Dolly Parton sings about a woman with great hair, great eyes, a great smile and a great voice. OK, so Jolene has it all. Of these, which is your most attractive feature: your hair, your eyes, your smile or your voice?

A. I'll go with my eyes. I am told they are quite expressive, and my close friends can almost read my mind by looking in my eyes. They are hazel and look like cracked ice.

2) Dolly tells us her husband mentions in Jolene in his sleep. Do you talk in your sleep?

A. I talk, scream, yell, gurgle, laugh, etc. in my sleep. My poor husband has to listen to that at night. Fortunately, he is a heavy sleeper.

3) Dolly has said this song was inspired by a bank teller she caught flirting with her husband. That was in the 1970s. Today we can do our banking from our computers, our phones or a bank ATM. When is the last time you spoke to a banker?

A. I spoke to a banker just this past week. I went inside to order checks.

4) Dolly had a crush on Johnny Cash. When she was just a teen, she saw him perform at The Grand Ole Opry and called it "love at first sight." Are you crushing on anyone right now?

A. I am not crushing on anyone except my husband, who is not a crush but my longtime love. I might be crushing a tiny bit on Taylor Swift, who gave $5 million to help out the flood victims from Hurricane Helene.

5) Dolly is more than a singer/songwriter. She's an industry! Her Dollywood is a theme park, water park, hotel and spa. Looking back on the summer of '24, did you visit a theme park, water park, hotel or spa?

A. I am afraid we did not visit much of anything this summer.

6) A luxury stay at Dollywood can get expensive, unless you're the teacher who wins this year's Chasing Rainbows Award from Dolly. She treats a deserving teacher to a week at Dollywood. Tell us about a teacher who made a difference in your life.

A. Lots of teachers have influenced me, and I have written about most of them at some point or another. One of my college professors, Jeanne Larsen, had a big influence on my writing and gave me the courage to move forward with it.

7) Dollywood is in Sevier County, TN. Her ties to the community are strong, and in 2007, Dolly raised the funds to build a new hospital that opened there in 2010. When you were last in a hospital, were you a patient or a visitor?

A. The last time I was in a hospital was in 2022, when my husband had hip replacement surgery. So, I was visiting.

8) In 1973, when "Jolene" was popular, Elvis' "Aloha from Hawaii" concert aired. "Aloha" is the native Hawaiian word used when greeting or parting. Can you say anything else in Hawaiian?

A. I'm afraid not really. "Mali maliki maki" (sp) is the thing they say for Merry Christmas, maybe? There's some song about that.

9) Random question: Have you more recently eaten cold pizza or cold fried chicken?

A. I have not recently eaten either. I haven't had pizza in at least a year, and I do not eat fried chicken (I eat baked or roasted chicken). I do not eat either of them cold.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone, crushing on Taylor Swift. We just got Taylor Swift ornaments in at the card shop. Last year I was surprised when people asked what Swiftie Christmas items we had and I'm glad I now know where to steer them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the TSwift fanwagon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.