Saturday, July 06, 2024

Saturday 9




... because Thursday was the 4th of July and we're still celebrating!


1) Whitney Houston originally performed this in front of over 73,000 at the 1991 Super Bowl. What's the biggest crowd you have ever been in?

A. The biggest crowd I have ever been in was probably a concert at the Roanoke Civic Center. I'm going to guess it was Elton John's concert in the 1990s.

2) Whitney's version of The National Anthem was released 10 years later, after 9/11, and the proceeds went to support New York's first responders. It was her last Top Ten single. What's your favorite Whitney Houston song?

A. I Will Always Love You, which was written by Dolly Parton.

3) Whitney's friends recall she loved lavender -- both the color and the scent. What's your favorite color? What's your favorite scent?

A. My favorite color is blue. My favorite scent is unscented, although I can tolerate vanilla.

4) Whitney had a sweet tooth and loved Fruity Pebbles. If you reached for a snack right now, would it be sweet or salty?

A. My snack would be a combination, probably a Nature Valley Cashew bar.

5) Whitney's grave marker bears the words, "I Will Always Love You," so clearly her family is proud of her best-selling recording. How would you like to be remembered?

A. My grave marker would bear the words, "Beloved wife," and/or "She did the best she could," although I wouldn't mind being remembered for my work with the newspaper. So maybe "Local writer."

6) Going back to 1991, when this recording was first popular, consumers who had a cell phones likely had flip phones. Technology has come a long way, hasn't it? What did you most recently use your cell phone for? (Calling, texting, looking something up, taking a photo, posting on your blog or social media ...)

A. I last used my cell phone to call the telephone company to tell them that lightning took out my landline, and my internet is so slow and intermittent I can barely get anything to load.

7) In 1777, Colonists celebrated July 4 with the firing of cannons and muskets, followed by a public reading of the Declaration of Independence. What did your neighborhood do to celebrate the 4th of July?

A. I don't really have a neighborhood. Some residents set off fireworks somewhere, as I could hear them, but it was so foggy I couldn't see anything. The nearby town had the courthouse and church bells ring at 5 p.m. as part of early celebration of America's 250th birthday. (I am not sure we're actually going to make 250 years.)

8) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of rum on July 4. Do you know anyone who is serving in the military this 4th of July?

A. I know of some friends who have people in the military.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will/did you dine on to celebrate the 4th of July? 

A. We had hot dogs on July 4, along with watermelon for dessert.


5 comments:

  1. My sister (in Blacksburg) was without power for almost 18 hours. She said it was quite a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot dogs are perfect on the 4th of July

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that Dolly Parton wrote that song. I do like her singing. She was really good in a movie called Joyful Noise. I think you should include local writer. I can't do scents unless it is essential oils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Dolly's recording better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work with the newspaper matters!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.