Saturday, July 27, 2024

Saturday 9: Nevertheless




Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Liza Minnelli acknowledges that she may be "taking a terrible chance." Have you done anything risky lately?

A. I find it risky simply going to the grocery store anymore. But that's normal risky. I haven't done anything beyond normal risky in quite a while.

2) In 1969, when Liza recorded this song, she was 23 and her career was really beginning to take off. She was a sought-after guest on TV talk and variety shows and received her first Oscar nomination. Give us a quick overview of your life at 23.

A. When I was 23, I had three years of marriage under my belt. I was attending Hollins College (now Hollins University) part-time as well as attending Virginia Western Community College part-time, working a part-time job, and doing a little freelance writing. We were getting ready to build our house, so we were looking at various house plans. I was driving a black Ford Thunderbird. I was on Interstate 581 heading from VWCC to my job at a law office when I heard the announcer say that Challenger had exploded, and I had to pull over because it upset me so much. I have always been a space program geek. 

3) Also in 1969, the first Gap store was opened in San Francisco. What have you recently added to your wardrobe? If yes, where did you buy it?

A. I bought bras last. I purchased them at Walmart. Not exciting, I know.

4) Liza says she always has apple juice in her refrigerator. What's something you're certain to have in your frig?

A. A gallon of unsweetened tea.

5) Liza's favorite card game is poker. What's yours?

A. Rummy.

6) Though Liza recorded the song in 1969, "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" was written way back in 1931. It has been recorded more than 50 times by artists as diverse as Bing Crosby, Andy Gibb and Bob Dylan. Before today, had you heard it?

A. I don't recall hearing this song before.

7) "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" is credited to Bert Kalmer and his partner, Harry Ruby. Another one of their hits was "Who's Sorry Now?" Do you owe anyone an apology?

A. Not to my knowledge. I have discovered through the years that people can be angry or upset with you for a long time and you never know it. So, there is probably someone somewhere who thinks I owe them an apology for something.

8) Together they also wrote "Hooray for Captain Spaulding," sung onscreen by Groucho Marx in the movie Animal Crackers. There were five Marx Brothers in all. How many can you name?

A. Just the one mentioned in the question, Groucho Marx. 

9) Random question: Do you believe talking to plants helps them grow?

A. I don't think it hurts anything. 

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

6 comments:

  1. #2: Purple cowl-neck dress with a black belt and black heels -- that's what I was wearing when I heard about The Challenger. This was before email, so we got our interoffice correspondence in mail slots that were recessed into the wall. I was returning to my cubicle with my mail when I saw coworkers clustered around a tiny 9" TV. #8: My favorite Halloween costume ever was the year I went as Harpo Marx. My boyfriend thought it was funny because to stay in character, I couldn't speak. It makes me sad to think that now, it seems no one would know who I was dressed as.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Challenger disaster. So upsett8ng,

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2--I was working at the campus radio station, getting my hours to get my FCC broadcast license (though not on air) when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the grocery store. Every time I go in there they're rude people who run over you or push you out of the way just to get what they want. It has become a risk to even shop for food. Anyway I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you were one busy lady at 23! I was at work in Florida when the Challenger exploded. We had all stepped out into the parking lot to watch it go up and as soon as we saw that y-shaped trail of smoke we knew something was terribly wrong and ran back inside to turn on a tv we had in the breakroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember how sad I was then it happened. I had a toddler at home and I remember watching it in our family room which was actually our dining room. I remember seeing a tribute to them with the song Somewhere. That is nice that you got to plan the building of your house. I need some new bras too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.