Thursday, May 09, 2024

Thursday Thirteen


It can be hard to identify toxic traits in oneself or in others. Here is a list of some types of toxic traits.

1. Emotional Manipulation: Trying to control others by guilt-tripping, using tears, or bossing them around.

2. Lack of Empathy: Ignoring other people’s feelings and acting solely based on personal desires.

3. Self-Centeredness: Always putting oneself first without considering others.

4. Hostility: Being blunt, rude, or aggressive, which can leave others feeling anxious.

5. Defensiveness: Reacting defensively to feedback or criticism.

6. Negativity: Constantly focusing on the negative aspects of situations.

7. Jealousy: Feeling envious of others’ success or happiness.

8. Sabotaging Others: Undermining others’ efforts or success.

9. Perfectionism: Setting unrealistic standards for oneself and others.

10. Gossiping: Spreading rumors or talking negatively about others.

11. Blaming Others: Refusing to take responsibility for one’s actions.

12. Passive-Aggressiveness: Indirectly expressing anger or frustration.

13. Dishonesty: Lying or withholding information.

There are many more, such as competitiveness, disregarding boundaries, dismissiveness, or avoidance.

I have trouble with perfectionism, though I expect it only of myself and not other people. Sometimes it can be stifling and lead me to not doing something because I'm afraid it won't be perfect.

I also can be quite negative sometimes. I try to work on the traits I've identified but am not always successful. Some are deeply embedded, such as self-blame, which isn't listed but is something I do. (I say, "I'm sorry," a lot.)

Some of these I picked out of a long list of toxic traits because they seem to fit a certain famous person who is in the news a lot.

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 859th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.


4 comments:

  1. Yup, those are some negative traits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little 5 or 6 but don't stay in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guiltiest of 5 and 6. In the Streisand book I got most annoyed with her when she seemed petty about grievances long in the past ... and then it occurred to me that's what I dislike most about myself, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.