Saturday, June 03, 2023

Saturday 9: The Best


In memory of Tina Turner, who died on May 24, 2023.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Tina Turner sings that she can think of no better place to be than her lover's arms. Since we're entering summer vacation season, let's switch it to: What's the best place you've ever traveled to?

A. We have had lovely vacations in Charleston, SC, Williamsburg, VA, and Myrtle Beach, SC. However, the trip I took to Madrid and Paris when I was a junior in high school is hard to beat, even if it was so long ago, I barely remember much of it now. I loved Paris. I could live there, if I had to move to a city.

2) Songwriters Holly Knight and Desmond Child originally offered this song to English pop singer Paul Young. He declined it. Can you think of a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been a better answer?

A. One of the stupidest things I ever did was leave a law firm in 1984. I'd only been there a little over a year and had been promised a raise in March. When it didn't come, I went looking for another job. I should have stayed where I was and not worried about the raise (which likely would have come eventually). I should have not said, "No, you're not going back on your word," and left (which is what I did). I have a thing about people breaking promises. Once someone says they're going to do something and then they don't do it, I lose all trust in them. It's a terrible way to go through life and I've tried hard to overcome that, but it still rears its ugly head as a niggle when someone says they will do something and then they do not. I try not to let it ruin relationships or cause me to do things rashly now, though. I learned that lesson.

3) Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, TN. In 1973 she recorded a song about it called "Nutbush City Limits." Is there a song about your hometown?

A. Not that I am aware of. However, Fincastle is the location of the first bluegrass festival ever. It took place in 1965. 

4) It was at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church that very young Tina began singing with the choir. She credited those early performances with giving her confidence in front of a crowd. Are you comfortable with public speaking? 

A. I am not.

5) When she was a teen, her mom relocated the family to St. Louis. It was here that Tina played on the high school basketball team. Can you make a free throw?

A. Maybe. I haven't tried in at least 45 years. I'd probably have to do it granny style.
 
6) Tina met her second husband, Erwin Bach, at the airport. A record exec, Erwin went to Heathrow to meet her flight and help her prepare for her London appearances. The last time you were at the airport, were you a traveler or were you meeting or dropping someone off?

A. I would have been picking up someone.
 
7) In 1991, the year this record was released, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury died. What's your favorite Queen song?

A. Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
 
8) Also in 1991, Disney's Beauty and the Beast became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. What's your favorite Disney movie?

A. I don't really have one, but I'll go with either the animated version of Aladdin or Finding Nemo.

9) Random question: What's your perfect day, weatherwise?

A. Sunny, with blue skies, temperature about 72 degrees with a very mild breeze occasionally. And no pollen.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.


5 comments:

  1. #2: Lesson learned, so it was worthwhile.
    #5: We'll stand there at the line forever until one of us finally hits it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I figured we'd choose the same song. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perfect day sounds lovely! No pollen is important! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madrid and Paris would be a wonderful experience! Glad you got to go! I am like you regarding promises made. Life happens is my new motto. There are things our of our control and people get hurt. Takes time to learn things and we mess up in the process. Our young hearts have a hard time dealing with those things and it can carry onto adulthood. Lessons learned right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I' d love to see Madrid! Dont be so hard on yourself. When people let you down its just really hard to believe in them anymore. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.