Saturday, January 18, 2020

Saturday 9: Miss Independent

Saturday 9: Miss Independent (2003)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it
here.

Until a few weeks ago when I heard this on the radio and saw it scrolling saying it was a Kelly Clarkson song, I'd have sworn this was an 1990s Sheryl Crow song. Oh well.

1) The song begins with Kelly describing a woman who is "independent" and "self-sufficient." Are you feeling especially independent and self-sufficient this morning? Or is there a particular task on your to-do list that you wish you had help with?

A. I'm feeling tired and worn out. I wish I had a bookkeeper to keep our books because I hate doing the bookkeeping for our several businesses. I need to finish up 2019 so we can get the taxes to the accountant.

2) Kelly especially enjoys that this song was a hit, because she had to argue with the record company to even include it on her album. Tell us about a time you're glad fought to get your way.

A. It wasn't a fight, but I am glad I insisted on going to Hollins College (now Hollins University) to obtain my BA (and later my MA in 2012).

3) The video depicts a very lively party that spills from the house to the pool area. What's the last party you attended? Was it held indoors, outdoors, or did the revelers enjoy themselves both inside and outside?

A. I guess the last party I attended was the little shindig we hosted for my nephew and his bride. It was indoors, mostly, and hopefully most everyone enjoyed themselves.

4) The partiers are playing with "silly string." Have you ever indulged in a "silly string" battle?


A. I can't say that I have.

5) Kelly Clarkson has a new daytime talk show. Who hosted the last entertainment talk show (as opposed to news) that you watched?

A. Bill Maher last night.

6) Kelly Clarkson told a foodie website that one of her favorite foods is sushi (especially California rolls). She said she's surprised how fond she is of it, since as a kid, sushi is a food she wouldn't even try. Tell us about something you had to be convinced to try, or do, that you were surprised to find you enjoyed.

A. It took a while for me to decide to try coloring, but once I started it I found it quite relaxing and I'm actually pretty good at it.

7) In 2003, when "Miss Independent" was released, Microsoft and Sony were furiously competing for gamers' attention. Do you own Playstation or Xbox, neither or both?

A. Neither. I used to have an Xbox but it was the first version and long out of date. I got rid of it some time ago and never replaced it. There are enough time-wasters on my cellphone now to make up for that.

8) Also in 2003, the best-selling cookbook was The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. It features foolproof recipes for old favorites like waffles, pancakes, flat breads and crackers. When you look for a new recipe, are you searching for an easier/better way to make something familiar, or are you more likely looking to try something new?

A. Usually for something new, or some way to make something like chicken a little differently. Fixing meals and eating has become problematic. Hey, I could use a chef in response to one of the earlier questions.

9) Random question: Which has gotten you in more trouble -- love or money?

A. Probably love.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

6 comments:

  1. God for you on #2! That is awesome! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Bill Maher. When Ned moved in here we got Dish Network and HBO is not an option. (I also miss John Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get your taxes sorted out.Bookkeeping can be exhausting work for sure. You asked why I was watching The View if I dislike it.. well I was in a waiting room where it was playing and couldn't help but hear the screeching! At home I don't have cable TV and can't receive regular tv because of where we live. Reception without cable is almost impossible. So.. no TV at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at a senior center and for an activity they had coloring books, it was relaxing and also interesting to see how everyone did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to tune into Bill Maher. There are just too many TV options now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really sorry you are feeling so tired. I hope you can get your taxes done without too much trouble and that this year is a better one for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.